free website stats program oil temp switch in oil pan | Harley Davidson Forums

oil temp switch in oil pan

john62

Hi !I bought the H-D oil temp kit. I'm not crazy about cutting an oil line and installing an elbow with hose clamps. Does any body know what size bushing I would need to install it in the front of the oil pan, the hole next to the drain plug. Thanks!

It takes a 3/8" male npt X 1/8" female npt adapter. A bit of heat on the plug will make it easier to remove.

I feel the oil pan is the best place to install it. This is the true oil temp. Hotter spots in the system are possible but for the true temp, this is the best IMO.

I feel the oil pan is the best place to install it. This is the true oil temp. Hotter spots in the system are possible but for the true temp, this is the best IMO.

Hi Glider,

I recently installed a HD oil cooler in my 08 Ultra and replaced the air temp gauge with the Oil Temperature Gauge kit from HD. I put the sending unit in line in the top cooler hose like the directions say but I am not sure about the temps I am seeing on the gauge. The oil temp never went to much over 200 and when cruising it stayed around 150. It seems like it should be reading higher than this. I almost think this oil cooler works which is contrary to what I have read online. So, is oil pan more accurate than where I have sending unit installed? Also, What is the plug for next to the oil drain? Is it there for any other reason that the dealer might need to use it when bike is in for service? Will it be ok to put sending unit in this location? Thanks for your help.

I don't like the inline sender units. I really don't think they are accurate at all. I would install the sending unit in the plug next to the engine oil drain myself. The adapter is 3/8" MNPT-1/8" FNPT. Don't use any thread sealant on the threads, they are pipe thread and are tapered, besides you could loose the ground if you use a sealant.

The pan is where I want to see the temps and not in a line near the cooler.

I don't like the inline sender units. I really don't think they are accurate at all. I would install the sending unit in the plug next to the engine oil drain myself. The adapter is 3/8" MNPT-1/8" FNPT. Don't use any thread sealant on the threads, they are pipe thread and are tapered, besides you could loose the ground if you use a sealant.

The pan is where I want to see the temps and not in a line near the cooler.

Just one more question in regards to this. I have a choice of either a brass or steel adapter. Which would you recommend? Also, I called Harley to replace molded hose that I cut according to directions and I want to replace since I am going to put sending unit in oil pan and they said short hose is $38.00 and Longer one is $45.00 . Wow. I should have done more research before I installled sending unit.

Last edited:
Back