free website stats program Oil Temp Guage Installation | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Temp Guage Installation

ktorian

I just bought an HD oil temp guage, and I'm contemplating doing the installation myself. I've read the self help tips here: Oil Temp Gauge Installation - Harley Davidson Community, but I'm not sure if I'm up to this, or if I should have the dealer do it. I'm okay with putting the gauge in the dash, but I'm not sure about removing my tank, how/where to run the wires, or exactly how to install the adapter and sender in the oil pan. Forgive my ignorance, but can someone walk me through this, or am I in over my head?

KT, it is a simple install. I put one on my bike, just follow the instructions carefully and you will be ok. As a note, you may want to buy yourself a service manual, as they are very handy to have. Show you how to completely take the bike apart if you wanted to.
having said that if, after reading the instructions, you aren't comfortable with it then take it to an Independent mechanic who works on Harley..much cheaper than the dealership.

Not difficult at all for anyone that can walk and chew gum at the same time.. The hardest part is taking off the tank and that isn't difficult, just takes a little time. If you do it remember to disconnect the fuel line disconnect before lifting the tank or you break the plastic end on the fuel rail and that's $45 to replace.

I just bought an HD oil temp guage, and I'm contemplating doing the installation myself. I've read the self help tips here: Oil Temp Gauge Installation - Harley Davidson Community, but I'm not sure if I'm up to this, or if I should have the dealer do it. I'm okay with putting the gauge in the dash, but I'm not sure about removing my tank, how/where to run the wires, or exactly how to install the adapter and sender in the oil pan. Forgive my ignorance, but can someone walk me through this, or am I in over my head?

As an alternative to what is shown in the Self-Help installation description (pulling the tank), I ran my sending unit wire from the sending unit over to the cable bundle running along the frame tube on the right side. Then I ran it along that bundle, up the clutch cable shield, over to the frame (put a little patch of Velcro hooks there, and a loop of loops on the wire to hold it) and into the fairing. The rest as they say, is history!

TQ

thanks for the tips in the self help . i just completed my HD oil temp gauge install. it was a breze!
only extra i needed was a bushing 1/4 X 3/8 for the sending unit. i installed it in the extra opening in the oil pan. power and ground was right there because i had the air temp gauge.

i plan on setting a base line of adv. temps. then installing an oil cooler with a fan to track the improvement. i will run a 1000 miles for a base then install the cooler. and post up my findings

I ordered the gage from the local dealer in Feb. It was back ordered for several weeks. I finally cancalled the order. Dealer called Friday and said it came in. I picked it up. In the kit is the bushing to adapt the sender. The instructions now show it installed in the oil pan.

Back