free website stats program Oil Temp Gauges | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Temp Gauges

Glider , just so You know, I did look in the self help forum. Somebody made refernce to an according to NAPA, nonexisting part#3220. bushing. Maybe You have the correct number? Thanks. Chief747.

The adapter is 3/8" MNPT-1/8" FNPT or 3/8" MNPT-1/4" FNPT depending on the sender you have. There's two different sizes as far as I know.

Home Depot should carry the adapter if there is one by you.

Chief,

Glider's help page gives you the info on the bushing. The kit I got already had the sending unit in the bushing. My kit DID NOT require getting into the oil line. It was a kit intended to be installed in the oil pan extra hole. Something like this:

http://www.gopartsdirect.com/2005/item2005.asp?ItemID=11584&CategoryID=28&MFG=&SubCat=&Model=&Placeholder=0

Doc,

I do not know if the later bikes are more complicated than my '03 UC, but removing the front fairing is very easy. Four screws (torx head - T27s I think) from the inside, and the three that hold the wind shield. That is it. Rock the fairing away from the inner fairing and unplug the head light (that stays with the front). My only warning is when reassembling. Those three screws that secure the wind shield go into some threaded brass inserts molded into the rear fairing half. If you get too Hercy on them, you can strip them loose. Not a big deal even if you do that though. I just drilled a hole all the way through the rear fairing half and run long bolts from the inside out to the front half. I use acorn nuts on the outside. Looks pretty nice actually. On the inside, I use a bit of high pressure hose cut at a 45deg on one side to compensate for the angle of the bolt. Looks OK too.

TQ

Attachments

• P7090905.JPG
    P7090905.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 344
  • P7090901.JPG
    P7090901.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 36
  • P7090903.JPG
    P7090903.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 36
  • P7090914.JPG
    P7090914.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 346
  • P7090906.JPG
    P7090906.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Glider, just got off the phone , for the second time with Napa. For what it's worth part#3220 is still an oil filter. Told me to bring the size of the adapter and would try to help me. Thanks Glider, thanks TQ. Chief

Smitty, I already have an HD oilcooler installed. Just want to see what my oil temp is like. Replacing the worthless air guage. Just another toy. Chief.

My FLHT just has the two blank spaces and oil pressure and oil temp are more important than what tempreture it is outside. I still need to buy and install an oil cooler but I did order the O2 IED's (14.2s) the other evening.

Doc, I was nervous about taking the front fairing off also. When I finally bit the bullet and tried, it was a piece of cake. Hardest thing was getting the 2 bolts on the bottom of the fairing back on.

Ever wonder why the MOCO thinks we want/need an air temperature gauge? We're riding bikes; it's not like we're sitting in a cage with A/C and heat. If it's cold, we shiver. If it's hot, we sweat. What more do we need?

I really wonder about the need for an Oil temp gauge. Seems the oil temp is what is and looking at it as you go down the road aint going to change it.
Now if you were using it to test different products and thier effect on oil temp that would be one thing.
Would it not make sence to save the cash and time that would be spent installing a gauge and just stick and oil cooler on if you are worried about oil temps?
Just a though nothing aginst them just by time you add up the cost you would have a chunk of you cooler paid for.

Smitty,

I did both - oil temp gauge and oil cooler. Riding around down here in the Houston area, daytime temps are approaching the century mark. With oil pressure and temp on the dash, I feel like I can keep an eye on the engine's life blood. The air temp gauge was definitely useless - never even close except first thing in the morning to figure out the temp in the garage before starting the bike!

Where the oil temp and pressure gauges really help are in stop-n-go. If I am spending too much time stopped, and not enough goin' and the oil temp gets up over 230 degF the oil pressure drop below 10 psi at idle. Then I can look for a different route and spend more time goin. If that is not an option, I just pull over at the closest Ice House for a cold one or two. About 20 or 30 minutes does wonders for the oil temp. And the attitude adjustment makes the stop-n-go more palatable. Most of the time, that 30 minutes is all it take for traffic to thin out anyway.

So there ya go!

TQ

TQ,

Same problem here in the Albuquerque area. Specially in stop and go traffic. At least now I know the oil temp. is ok instead of constantly worrying.

chief

Back