free website stats program oil temp. gauge | Harley Davidson Forums

oil temp. gauge

FLIPBEL

i have been reading a lot of threads on oil temp. gauges. i was wondering if anyone has come across a unit that simply screws to the oil dipstick and has a long wire that will reach the handle bar area and have the readout mounted there. i hate to add things to my bike were i have to mess with electrical stuff (hd warranty!!!!!). i know they have them for the dipstick area only, but that is not what i want. i want somthing i can read while driving. these unit will be self-contained battery operated (just like those oven thermometers).

I wonder if you couldn't look at some place like autometer or isspro and find some gauge that would look good. It would be way better if we could find a tap in the case where you could put a sending unit. I checked the temp on my 03 one time with a infared gun and also checked the wifes 06 at the same time after about a 60 mile run at sixty to seventy miles an our and the 06 was about 50 degrees cooler then the 03. Have about thirty thousand more miles with no problems but makes me think something is going on.

Flipbel; I have been looking at Oil temp. gauges for a while. I refuse to pay over $100 for a HD or McEwan gauge when there are name brand gauges aval. for less than $70.I have done every type of search I can think of, using every search engine I can find. Nothing like what you mention, but I havent looked at industrial temperature thermocouples yet. My wife has a nice digital thermometer for the oven, but the lead is only 3 ft. long.

I bought one of those "Digital Read Out Oil Temperature" dip sticks thru a Harley dealer. I highly suggest you NOT buy one of these (I realize this is not the type you are asking about ....I'm, just saying). This high priced item worked for a few month..now no longer displays the temperature!
I suspect it is just the battery...but the Harley stealer informs me there is no way to take it apart and replace the battery.........JUNK!:bigsmiley15:

I bought one of those "Digital Read Out Oil Temperature" dip sticks thru a Harley dealer. I highly suggest you NOT buy one of these (I realize this is not the type you are asking about ....I'm, just saying). This high priced item worked for a few month..now no longer displays the temperature!
I suspect it is just the battery...but the Harley stealer informs me there is no way to take it apart and replace the battery.........JUNK!:bigsmiley15:
====================================================
Heartshot; I have never heard anything good about the digital temp.gauge. Your dealer must be ignorant of the availability of a repl. batt. (imagine that!). The HD acc. catalog lists a CR2032 lithium repl. battery for $1.95. It's worth looking it over and seeing how to get to it, and going to the local drugstore for a repl. If it lights up you might be able to unload it for a couple of dollars.

Here's the instructions that came with my oil dip stick...hope it helps you change the battery.

Attachments

• dip_stick.pdf
    114.3 KB · Views: 49
Flipbel; I have been looking at Oil temp. gauges for a while. I refuse to pay over $100 for a HD or McEwan gauge when there are name brand gauges aval. for less than $70.I have done every type of search I can think of, using every search engine I can find. Nothing like what you mention, but I havent looked at industrial temperature thermocouples yet. My wife has a nice digital thermometer for the oven, but the lead is only 3 ft. long.

Got my gage at auto zone 38.00 autopro brand fits in ferring probe in tank...

Got my gage at auto zone 38.00 autopro brand fits in ferring probe in tank...

=========================================================
Were you able to find one with a white needle? I saw a couple I liked, but they had red needles. Summit has a vdo with a white needle that I like.

mine is red needle autopro one would be nice if white im not real picky works good ..

Here's the instructions that came with my oil dip stick...hope it helps you change the battery.
This is the exact model I have...I can not thank you enough. I knew when I bought the thing I had read somthing about changing the battery. The dealer said no (parts counter guy) , but I, like a "dummy" had lost or threw away the paperwork that came with it.
Thanks Again!!!
The amount of knowledge that is on this web-site is priceless....You guys are amazing

Back