free website stats program Oil Temp Gauge | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Temp Gauge

Peddler / Schmitty; Did you use the HD or McEwan oil temp. gauges? Or did you use an aftermarket gauge? I'm thinking of going with aftermarket, but they say they are 2 1/16", HD says thiers is 2", I wonder if there is really a 1/16" difference in the diameter.

I installed the McEwan new style gauge, which is 2” inches in diameter. Notwithstanding the clutter inside the fairing, the unit went in rather well and looks as if it were installed at the factory. I replaced the light bulb with the one in air temp gauge to maintain lighting uniformity when riding at night.

In reference to the air temperature gauge: Some riders may not find it useful due to where they ride or live geographically. However, those of us who ride in freezing temperatures during some part of the year find comfort in knowing when the road may be freezing up. The HD air temp gauge is not accurate enough for those riding conditions. There are aftermarket gauges that are very accurate if installed properly, and have alerts, which inform the rider of a freezing environment.

glens,
I put in the "short sweep". I didn't know any better at the time. I got a pretty good education after talking to Mr. McEwan when I had to return/replace the sending unit.

In the end, regardless of the geek in me that wants the "numbers", I think all I really need is something that is approximate and will tell me to shut the engine off before something gets damaged. I will probably add an oil cooler before summer comes around, just because. Between the oil cooler, changeing Mobile 1 every 3,333 miles and the temp gauge, there is not much more I think I should do. (Although I do like the 'bolt on fan' that goes where the horn is now. I don't think I NEED it, but that has never stopped me so far!!:D Somehow, I will probably talk myself into it just to bolt on some more chrome!)

I believe I read a while back that Smitty had a melt down problem with one of those fans.I would research them a bit before I put one on.

Wow! That is really frustrating (and expensive)!:11: Okay...the fan is off the list!

I know there is a limit to how much heat the air can pull away/hold anyway.
That's why all radiators are just about the same thickness. If you want more cooling you have to get a larger area.

Smitty,
Were those fan(s) designed to blow air across the cylinders or were they blowing air across an oil cooler?

Very Interesting. I also have one of those boxes labeled "Things that don't work". Sure wish I could convert that box back to the original cash. Some were expensive learning lessons.

For those interested in some pics of the Autometer gauge here you go. Someone had questioned whether there was a difference in the 2" diameter Harley gauge and the 2-1/16" diameter aftermarket gauges, there is no difference as far as fit in the dash, however the difference is the Autometer gauge doesn't have as large of a bezel so there is a slight gap as shown in the last pic below. I just took some black silicone from behind the gauge and filled that in.

Attachments

• DSCF0544.jpg
    DSCF0544.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF0554.jpg
    DSCF0554.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCF0564.jpg
    DSCF0564.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 67
Sadist; Thanks for the pics and answering the diameter question that has been bugging me. The gauge looks like a good match for yours. Mine are black face, but Autometer makes one that matches mine.

Can't really comment about the fit, but the Auto Meter guages by Cycle Pro work and look great. It has neat blue numerals and soft reddish glow that is unique and gets compliments when friends see it at night.

The color of the light (stock HD gauges are amber) is determined by the color of a small rubber bulb condom (for the lack of a better description) that slides over the bulb before it is installed in the back of the gauge. Anybody who's a Pontiac fan like I am has to like soft red gage illumination. Anyone know where you can buy red colored bulb condoms to change the color of the illumination. I'm thinking leave the speedo and tach amber but change the volt gauge, fuel gauge, oil pressure and oil temp gauges to red.

Anybody?

Back