free website stats program Oil Temp Gauge | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Temp Gauge

peddler

I finished installing my oil temp gauge (sending unit in oil pan) this afternoon. I know the gauge won't read the oil temp until the oil in the entire system gets up to operating temp. Unfortunately I'm not going to have a chance to take it out on the road to see how it works for a while. I did start the bike and let it idle for approx. 20 minutes but that didn't even move the gauge above 110 degrees ( where it starts). At first I didn't think the gauge was working but then realizing the oil was starting out at 45 degrees I realized it would take some time for the gauge to read above 110 degrees.

I don't want this to sound like a stupid question. I realize the ambient temp will affect the gauge but for those of you who have the gauge installed in the oil pan, how long does it approximately take for the gauge to move above 110 degrees?

Any info you can provide will be appreciated.

Peddler your question is a good one. I just installed my gauge the other day and the same thing happened. I let my bike idle for a few minutes thinking it would generate some movement on the gauge, however, it didn’t. I later took the bike for a ride and everything was fine. I’m sure you are experiencing the same thing. It will take a few minutes to see that the gauge is working as it should.

Peddler / Schmitty; Did you use the HD or McEwan oil temp. gauges? Or did you use an aftermarket gauge? I'm thinking of going with aftermarket, but they say they are 2 1/16", HD says thiers is 2", I wonder if there is really a 1/16" difference in the diameter.

Depending on air temp it can take quite a while. Last week we were out in 40 degree temps for 20 minute and the temp didn't get above 170. Even in warmer weather it will take 10 or 15 minutes to get up to 200. I don't have the thermostsat or bypass.
kemo

I have the McEwan guage. This am when I left for work it was 22 degrees F outside and it took close to 10 miles for the guage to show temp. I really like my guage but the increments are kinda tough to figure out. Much more useful than the OAT guage IMO.

Peddler / Schmitty; Did you use the HD or McEwan oil temp. gauges? Or did you use an aftermarket gauge? I'm thinking of going with aftermarket, but they say they are 2 1/16", HD says thiers is 2", I wonder if there is really a 1/16" difference in the diameter.

MY VERY NICE CHROME gauge n bracket is HARLEY. gauge went bad and i couldn't use an after market oil gauge because of just that.... 2" and NO FIT with the after market gauge...

You need to grind out the HD brkt....

I bought a new hd gauge...

signed....BUBBIE

I finished installing my oil temp gauge (sending unit in oil pan) this afternoon. I know the gauge won't read the oil temp until the oil in the entire system gets up to operating temp. Unfortunately I'm not going to have a chance to take it out on the road to see how it works for a while. I did start the bike and let it idle for approx. 20 minutes but that didn't even move the gauge above 110 degrees ( where it starts). At first I didn't think the gauge was working but then realizing the oil was starting out at 45 degrees I realized it would take some time for the gauge to read above 110 degrees.

I don't want this to sound like a stupid question. I realize the ambient temp will affect the gauge but for those of you who have the gauge installed in the oil pan, how long does it approximately take for the gauge to move above 110 degrees?

Any info you can provide will be appreciated.

I would hope , even when COLD out , YOU had a BIG BOX FAN BLOWING ON MOTOR AND EXHAUST... 20 minutes idle could over heat heads n pistons regardless of oil temp.. causing problems with scoring the bore n ruin rings.

I usually set a fan up in front of bike and blow air on HIGH setting onto the heads n pipes ... This usually mimics a normal ride and offers cooling... So when i need to run it up to ride temps. no damage to engine that way...

signed....BUBBIE

on my sunpro gage reads 180 deg 20 min home ride 45 deg air. 220 deg oil long ride 45 deg air, my first oil gage the probe was to short did not read corerctly to low needed to be longer the sunpro was long enough..

I installed the HD oil temp gauge. Relatively easy install. The HD gauge matches the other gauges (oil pressure, fuel and voltage). The P& A catalog indicates the chrome bezel won't fit. Not sure why. It does fit. The oil temp gauge kit that ends in 04A includes the necessary brass bushing and sufficient wire length to install the sending unit in the oil pan. I currently have the wire running up the left side down tube. Not the worst idea but I may rethink the routing over the winter. Possibly run the wire back toward the batter box and then up under the tank to the fairing. Once i'm sure it works correctly I'll address the details.

I'm wondering if the sending unit for the air temp gauge was relocated outside the fairing if it would have been accurate. Regardless, it's still worthless in my opinion. Who needs to know the air temp?

Who needs to know the air temp?
Some of us that ride in cold weather do use it, start out on a 40 degree day you do not always notice temps dropping.
road condition can creep up on you.
Just another device to make you think a bit

Have you ever found a way to make it accurate?

Back