free website stats program oil temp gauge question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

oil temp gauge question

Put a Rodger McEwen gauge on my bike. Simple install. As long as it came off the same MY bike it should be plug and play. It is tight under there but take your time and it shouldn't be a problem. By the way those gauges are accurate +/- 5* in the range of 170* - 210*,after that accuracy falls way off. They're good to use as a reference regarding overall engine performance (what's normal for your bike), but don't count on it to be accurate.

When first installed mine was constantly reading over 300* while on the interstate, I got so panicked I called the manufacturer. That's when I learned of the accuracy range. I used another thermometer on one of those runs and learned the oil was around 260*. I like mine I just don't panic when it reads high.

Are you still satisfied with the McEwen gauge? I just got my 08 Ultra classic, and I'm going to install something. Does it always run at 260? Mine seems hot all the time, and after my Evo, which ran at 200, I worry it's hurting the engine. Do you run an oil cooler?

I run the HD oil temp gauge and my oil temp usually takes awhile to climb up to the "normal" operating range for my bike of between 180 - 220. If I get in traffic, especially after coming off the interstate, the oil temp will occasionally go up around 240° indicated. The Engine Idle Temp Monitor System will usually kick in at a stop light turning it into what sounds like a 1-lung Maine lobster boat motor and that tells me it's getting a little warm. I'm seriously considering some fans for the oil cooler and MAYBE a fan for the jugs/heads.

Back