free website stats program oil temp gauge question | Harley Davidson Forums

oil temp gauge question

Hi all, I have a 2000 flhtpi and installed the oil pressure, air temp gauge kit last year. Air temp is useless, so I bought an oil temp gauge from ebay. My question is this: is there any way to bench test the gauge before I go thru the trouble of installing it, the guy said it worked when he took it off, but who knows.Also can I just use a regular auto temp sensor instead of using official Harley part, it didn't come with sender or wiring harness, so trying to do it on the cheap. All input is appreciated.

Thanx Steve but that is install specs for the air temp and oil pressure gauges, I already have those, i am installing oil TEMPERATURE gauge in place of air temperature gauge, can I still use an auto TEMP sensor????

I gave you the wrong pdf.I will try and find the right one.
The temp sensor is 5 ohm.
I gave you the proper info there.

Hi all, I have a 2000 flhtpi and installed the oil pressure, air temp gauge kit last year. Air temp is useless, so I bought an oil temp gauge from ebay. My question is this: is there any way to bench test the gauge before I go thru the trouble of installing it, the guy said it worked when he took it off, but who knows.Also can I just use a regular auto temp sensor instead of using official Harley part, it didn't come with sender or wiring harness, so trying to do it on the cheap. All input is appreciated.
How much moola did you pay? HD wants $139:small3d023:

I paid $26.75 including shipping:) but it didn't come with sender or wiring, but I think I can use just an automotive sender and besides wire is wire no matter where you live. look on ebay and search "Harley gauges" keep looking it took me a while this came off a wrecked bike but worth it.

Be careful when hooking the wires up as the plug for the fuel gauge and the plug for the air temp gauge are easily swapped. You have to cut off the one plug and install eye-terminals on the wires for the power, lights and ground and again on the signal and ground from the sensor. The plug from the air temp sensor just gets disconnected and tied back out of the way. I installed the oil temp gauge in my 12 UC. The hardest part is getting those 4 bolts that hold the radio in, removed so you can get the radio out of the way to get to the gauge. If you don't have long ball-end Allen sockets, get them before you start.

The gauge is a Rodger McEwen it seems to have one blade terminal for the light and one post that has an S (I assume sender) and one terminal with a G ( I assume ground) anybody have experience with this particular application?

Back