free website stats program Oil Temp gauge does'nt register anything | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Temp gauge does'nt register anything

I recently installed the HD oil temp gauge in place of the air pressure gauge. Took the bike on a 400 mile trip with some stop and go traffic. the gauge never registered higher then just below the 110 mark. When I insatlled the gauge and turned the swith to ignition to check for working, it jumped to just below the 100 mark. that indicated the switch was working. During the long ride though, the needle never went past that mark. I installed exactly to the instructions. Relatively easy install. Could I have done something wrong? or could it be a bad unit?

Any help would be appreciated.

I recently installed the HD oil temp gauge in place of the air pressure gauge. Took the bike on a 400 mile trip with some stop and go traffic. the gauge never registered higher then just below the 110 mark. When I insatlled the gauge and turned the swith to ignition to check for working, it jumped to just below the 100 mark. that indicated the switch was working. During the long ride though, the needle never went past that mark. I installed exactly to the instructions. Relatively easy install. Could I have done something wrong? or could it be a bad unit?

Any help would be appreciated.

Could be a bad sender unit. To see what the temp is I bought a long probe thermometer, type used in a turkey frier and stick it in the oil fill spout. Mine usually runs 180 to 210. I installed an aftermarket temp guage and last summer I had to tighten the spade lugs on the sender. Between the temp guage and the thermometer there is 2 or 3 degrees difference.

I used the McEwen gauge on my '99 Ultra. It worked fine, and then when I got the bike back together, it didn't register. Turns out, when I reinstsalled the fairing, I knocked one of the wires loose. It's really tight behind the fairing, and it's easy to dislodge something.

I rechecked all of the connections, and still the same. Took it to the local dealer in another state, (where I'm at now) and they also said it is posible to get a bad sending unit right out of the box. So I have to wait to get back home and exchange with the dealer I purchased it from. Hopefully this will solve the problem. I hope they can exchange just the sending unit at the oil pan, and I won't have to relpace the intire setup.

Thanks for the info.

Well HDDon, you were right. It was a bad sending unit. When I got back from my trip, I removed the sending unit and brought it to the dealership I bought it from. They gave me another one right out of the box. After installing the new one I started the bike and let it run at idle for about 20 minutes or so. I watched the gauge go just above the 110 mark. seems to be working just fine now.

Thanks for the info.
Who would have thought right out of the box a BAD sending unit. We live and learn, eh?

Back