free website stats program Oil Temp gauge and Oil Cooler | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Temp gauge and Oil Cooler

Ohhh, don't get me started on cable techs.....you would be busy all night editing me! I would make Richard & Lew look like saints. :D All I can say is :small3d023::small3d023::small3d023::small3d023:

Aftermarket guage if it is still available looks sharp and comes in billet/chrome w/silver bezel, but definately sounds like oil pan mounting the sensor is preferred, though it probably is not immersed in oil, as HD is "dry sump" so would just get the splashing and agitated oil bath in there (probably good enough for temp reading).

Analog Dipstick Guage works fine, but I have only had it on for 7 months so far. But, remember it reads the temperature in the oil tank "remote bag" which will be running 25-35 deg F cooler even at full operating temperature because the 2.5 quarts of oil stored in the reservoir has plenty of time to cool down and the fact it being "--last part of the oil cooling circulation circuit."

FYI, it never got overy 200 deg F on the hottest day I saw 105 deg F, when riding two up in the stifiling heat of the central Simi Valley/Chatsworth area in California. Only way I knew it bike was hot when parked on side stand, had a little "weeping" oil overflow and temperature did not rise higher after being parked for about an hour.

Last edited:
just put one on my 03 ultra was preety simple just take you're time and use plug in oil pan not the hd way alot of hd mech are doing it that way also works fine

This is a fairly old post; however, I just installed the Mcewen oil temp guage (replaced the outside air temp guage) and I'm very happy with it. Installation was fairly simple but installing the guage was tricky as there's not much finger room behind the inner fairing. It would have been easier if I'd just removed the stereo but I managed to get it without pulling the stereo. The guage doesn't match the stock 09 Ultra guages exactly but the difference is so minimal that it is really tough to tell. I never really saw the need for air temp and think this is a good upgrade for just over $100.

You are so right B-1B Guy, that air temperature guage should go the way of the analog clock...a stick on accessory somewhere on the bars like the master cylinder cover types HD sells...being function is "incidental" in nature.

It's priority really does not justify the dash console mounting location, which is the business end of the motorcycle status/rider feedback loop.

I recently installed the Roger McEwan kit in my 09 Ultra. The sender installed in the pan next to the oil drain plug with one wire running up to the gauge. The biggest problem I had was that my hands don't really fit the available space behind the gauges when swapping them out. However it reads about the same as the dipstick thermometer I was using and I can see it all the time while riding. I'm running the HD oil cooler and I see 200 to 230 in Texas with temps in the 90's when I'm running 70mph down the highway. The HD gauge only reads up to 230 while the McEwan reads up to 300 which you may want to consider.

I added the Marlins oil temp gauge while replacing the air temp gauge.
Marlins clocks. Check their web page.
I also purchased the head temp sender, thus giving me oil or head temperatures with just a flip of a dash mounted switch.
No oil line plumbing needed as it uses an electrical sender. Makes for easy installation.
I was able to watch both temps as I rode through the mountains/desert as I went from Iowa to California in July. HOT!!!
I ran Spectro Semi-Synthetic 20W50 oil. The temps were higher in the mountains and desert but stayed at a constant level.
I like using the electric sender as it doesn't require oil line plumbing changes that add to a possibility of physical damage and losing oil.

Back