free website stats program Oil temp after installing Dakota Digital temp gauge | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil temp after installing Dakota Digital temp gauge

07 Ultra Classic with Rinehart true duals, Dobeck tuner, LCD oil temp gauge and my temp runs about 230 to 260 on hot days. Never consider installing oil cooler to lower oil temp. These bikes were design to run at these temp. I've never heard of anybody destroying an engine because it was hot. Air cool engine will always run hot as designed. As far as comfort , if you can't stand the heat, get yourself a four door Ford with air conditioning.

As far as comfort , if you can't stand the heat, get yourself a four door Ford with air conditioning.

I've got two 2 door Fords, both with air conditioning. Does that count the same as one 4 door??? :D
And my bike is worth more than both Fords combined.

"Two wheels in the garage are worth more than eight wheels on the driveway"

I've got two 2 door Fords, both with air conditioning. Does that count the same as one 4 door??? :D
And my bike is worth more than both Fords combined.

My cycle is a toy that I ride when weather permits. not to hot, not to cold,
not raining, not dark outside. Otherwise I get in my 4 doors F150Crew.
And I value my truck more than my Cycle.

My cycle is a toy that I ride when weather permits. not to hot, not to cold,
not raining, not dark outside. Otherwise I get in my 4 doors F150Crew.
And I value my truck more than my Cycle.

My work truck is a 1990 F250 diesel with 450,000 miles on her. Extended cab, but only 2 doors back then. Still runs like a top and helps me pay off my new bike and 2010 Mustang. :D

07 Ultra Classic with Rinehart true duals, Dobeck tuner, LCD oil temp gauge and my temp runs about 230 to 260 on hot days. Never consider installing oil cooler to lower oil temp. These bikes were design to run at these temp. I've never heard of anybody destroying an engine because it was hot. Air cool engine will always run hot as designed.

The HD VTwin engine was designed to meet EPA requirements; not to heat oil to 270* on a hot day. The issue is the effectiveness of the oil to lubricate at engine operating temps and the higher the oil temperature, the closer it comes to breaking down and the less effective it is at lubricating; just that simple.

A few years back, there were very few forum posts about engine oil temperature; it was not an issue with the early models. As EPA regulations tightened up, H-D had to deliver the bikes running very lean A/F ratios to meet the EPA regs. I have seen later models heat up to the point that the head pipe would glow in the dark; won't happen with an early model.

An oil cooler should be a standard feature on these bikes.

The HD VTwin engine was designed to meet EPA requirements; not to heat oil to 270* on a hot day. The issue is the effectiveness of the oil to lubricate at engine operating temps and the higher the oil temperature, the closer it comes to breaking down and the less effective it is at lubricating; just that simple.

If you think your oil is breaking down at 370*, then change the oil when this happens. I change my oil once a year regardless of situations. As long as my oil pressure is constant, I don't worry.

If you think your oil is breaking down at 370*, then change the oil when this happens. I change my oil once a year regardless of situations. As long as my oil pressure is constant, I don't worry.

Was the 370* a typo??? Did you mean 270*??? If anyone's oil is hitting 370*, something is really wrong.

Back