free website stats program Oil tank *suddenly* too full | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil tank *suddenly* too full

Rokitman

I have a 2002 883C that I've had since Spring 2005. Only about 5500 miles on it.
I checked the oil level before firing it up this spring and it was the same way I left off last fall, with the oil on the cold mark at the bottom of the dip stick.
After about 5-8 times out since then, I checked the level again, and suddenly it is at the "top" of the tank almost coming out the top hole. It was never anywhere close to this high all last season! I started it up and let it warm up. Checked again, and it was coming out the hole when I pulled the plug.
A few days later, I repeated the same cold and warm checks with the same result.
Any idea what is going on???

Possibly the internal check valve in the oil filter is leaking thereby letter the oil contained in the filter to drain back to the tank. Throw a new HD oil on it and see what happens.

Just a guess.

I have a 2002 883C that I've had since Spring 2005. Only about 5500 miles on it.
I checked the oil level before firing it up this spring and it was the same way I left off last fall, with the oil on the cold mark at the bottom of the dip stick.
After about 5-8 times out since then, I checked the level again, and suddenly it is at the "top" of the tank almost coming out the top hole. It was never anywhere close to this high all last season! I started it up and let it warm up. Checked again, and it was coming out the hole when I pulled the plug.
A few days later, I repeated the same cold and warm checks with the same result.
Any idea what is going on???

Check the compression and see if you have Proper and Even compression in both cyl's... Hav you Over Heated it lately??

Usual problem is oil leaks past the tank and into sump of engine, showing low when cold, the back to full on warmed engine..... And You saying you did not add any oil..

Not knowing how long or far you ride, Is the engine getting HOT (normal)? or do you only do a Short and put it away??

It just may be that the oil is finally getting out the engine.... Correct the oil in tank by removing some to the proper level when hot... Watch this and If It ""still continues to come out the tank"",,,,, Report back please..

signed....BUBBIE

Check the compression and see if you have Proper and Even compression in both cyl's... Hav you Over Heated it lately??

Usual problem is oil leaks past the tank and into sump of engine, showing low when cold, the back to full on warmed engine..... And You saying you did not add any oil..

Not knowing how long or far you ride, Is the engine getting HOT (normal)? or do you only do a Short and put it away??

It just may be that the oil is finally getting out the engine.... Correct the oil in tank by removing some to the proper level when hot... Watch this and If It ""still continues to come out the tank"",,,,, Report back please..

signed....BUBBIE

Correct, I've added no oil. I run a minimum of 3, usually more like 10 miles or more at a time.

I'm concerned about starving the engine for oil: If it read fine at cold before, and is up at the top now, would (as you propose) removing enough oil to bring it down to the normal hot level possibly leave too little oil?
I guess what I concerned about is that because there is "suddenly" more oil in the tank, is not enough oil getting getting to the engine? (Whether or not I remove any even?)

If oil filter is lower than the tank then how can oil drain up hill?

Would do proper oil and filter change and add the required amount cycle the oil through then check it. Then ride it unitl hot and ck again. Keep monitoring it for level and unusual sounds.

Only way I know of an increase in the tank would be blocked oil line on the input side and the oil pump is pushing system dry. If this occurred then you would hear it. Only other problem could be gasoline getting into the oil system. Bad float and gas leaked into cylinders and then drained past rings over time? Actually this would be the most likely.

Smell the oil and see how thin it is.

Good point. If the filter is lower than the tank, I would say it can't. Since I don't have an oil tank, I did not know what the relative heights on each component was.

Would do proper oil and filter change and add the required amount cycle the oil through then check it. Then ride it unitl hot and ck again. Keep monitoring it for level and unusual sounds.

Bad float and gas leaked into cylinders and then drained past rings over time? Actually this would be the most likely.

Smell the oil and see how thin it is.

Good points..... I like the Change Oil and Filter Using the correct amount of oil.....

Then go from there... Fresh oil and filter with correct amount of oil...

The oil pump can"t pump more oil than is in the bike Unless some more is coming in ie, like gas?

I'm sure you would smell this and if it is gas DON"T START any more until changed oil and filter.(.)

Check back and REPORT

signed....BUBBIE

in any dry sump system correct oil level is checked when the oil is at normal operating temp i would be looking at the minimum of 25 miles to get the oil warmed up enough to get the correct level
when cold you should be looking for a presence of oil on the dipstick
there is a check valve in the oil system to prevent oil from running from the tank to the sump but its not always as effective as you would want it to be and some oil can leak past it into the sump giving a low level in the tank when cold
oil needs to be about 180f to get the correct level

Brian

Possibly I misunderstood. Are you saying it is reading too full while cold and hot or just hot.

If low cold and too high hot then not going to be gas in the oil.

Possibly I misunderstood. Are you saying it is reading too full while cold and hot or just hot.

If low cold and too high hot then not going to be gas in the oil.

Too full both hot and cold. I'll change the oil and filter and "start over". And check the oil for gas. Wouldn't a bad float cause it to run bad? It runs fine.
Unless it was the float stuck once (or so) and was stuck open when it sat for a long period?
Anyway, I'll change the oil and filter and report back.

Back