free website stats program Oil tank replacement help - 1975 ironhead | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil tank replacement help - 1975 ironhead

I need some help from you knowledgeable ones!

I have a custom oil tank to replace my original vertical side tank. My new tank has three feeds from the bottom with one of them having an internal pipe up inside to above the oil line. On the top of the tank is a brass oil breather mesh which is removable.

What I can see with the original tank is a feed and return which is easily swappable with two of the ones on the bottom of my new tank... its the third thinner pipe that would have gone to the top of the original oil tank which is the vent line. What shall I do with this one? I could take out the brass oil breather mesh and feed the vent line into that. But then that would mean the tank is then sealed. I cant put it on to the third feed at the bottom of the tank and it will just fill with oil. Unless I fitted to the one that rises inside to above the oil and but then the feed and return would come from pretty well next to each other in the bottom of the tank

Sorry for such rambling but I am trying to make it clear to you reading so you can picture what I have :)

Any Ideas? as I have never done a custom bike before and learning as I go along. Just wait until you see my other post about the internals I need to re-align when I took the side off the engine!

I would think the vent line was ment to hook to the fitting that come above the oil level and the top is just a vent for the tank, the is custom tank your using made for the 75 XL? And who makes it?
I'm sure it'll work just fine.

Ok fourth time lucky

OK, so chopper, you think it will be ok to connect both my feed and return to the bottom of the tank and connect the vent to the third fitting that rises above the oil? and leave the brass breather alone on the top

My other idea was to connect a T piece to the tank breather at the top and fit the beather and the oil vent to the same point? thoughts anyone?

Yea, connect the feed to the bottom, the return to the bottom that has the internal tube that rises above the oil level, plug the other bottom fitting and run the vent to the breather on top, does anybody out there agree or disagree with that?
Bubbie what are your thoughts?

Back