free website stats program oil - synthetic or not | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

oil - synthetic or not

Mobil One V twin synthetic in crank
HD Formula + in Primary
Spectro Synthetic for 6 speeds in tranny

Nobody will argue this combo. I am livin by it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd have to vote for Synthetic also. I've been using synthetics for years, way before Harley started selling the "blend" and then saying it was ok to put in the bikes. When I got my Road King and Ultra, first thing I did when I got home was to drain the cheap stuff out. I immediately put in Amsoil. Just my choice among synthetics.

Anyway, as most of the posts have mentioned it has super lubrication, doesn't break down like oil and keeps the motor a bit cooler. (Not much though so don't jump and down) I did notice that once I changed out the synthetic the engine and trans were quieter!.

If you're using a good oil filter (Harley's is actually pretty good in comparing oil filters) I change the syn out approximately every 4,000 miles. There is absolutely no reason to change out earlier. Remember it does not break down like the dino stuff.. You're just wasting monies if you do, but......if your a bit anal and gives you the warm and fuzzy feeling, then change out when ever you want since it is your scooter. :D Also, when I'm out on the road, much easier to just change the oil filter out at 3, 500 or 4,000 miles and just top it off until I get home. The syn is still doing it's job as long as the filter is doing it's thing and it's really nice on those l-o-n-g trips. Just a thought.
Ugly John

To be honest, I think synthetic is a waste of money. Ive run Harleys from Shovels to 07 softails. Not just looked at them and polished them but put serious miles on them, all on standard oils with no issues running hot, noisy gearboxes, and all the usual paranoid complaints. These bikes are designed to run on the specific oils they came with. Save yourselves money on oil to buy the latest moco bolt on trinkets. Your gonna get noises and rattles, after all it is a Harley! ....just ride and enjoy.

Sence Al gore blamed HD( and lwan mowers and boats ect) motorcycles for warming the earth EPA regs have caused leaner burning engine to run hotter.
Stanadard oils can not hold up to the heat, SNy do a much better job as the temps go up. Thats why I switched

Fully agree with smitty901 on this one. The 110's are so darn hot that I've actually had to get off the bike on a six way light waiting for the green! I had to installl a SERT, exhaust, SE a/c and have a custom mapping to cool 'er down. Dino oil just won't cut it, just a fact. And.....yes, I ride mine. . . and I also like like to wax and polish the chrome it too!:D
Ulgy John

I use Lucas 20w50 in both my 01 Road King and 51 Pan . The Twin Cam rus about 18 degrees cooler and the Pan about 15 than when I used the HD 20-50
They also have a 20-50 Syn but I don't care for the noise in the valve train from Syn oils and I change it every 3000 so there is no advantage to Syn .

Back