free website stats program oil - synthetic or not | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

oil - synthetic or not

Standard oil breaks down at about 250 degrees, synthetic at 25,000 degrees, according to Indian Motorcycles, plus all the perks posted by the other riders. DEFINITELY synthetic. Beats dino oil in all ways. Incidentally, Glider posted that Syn3 is not a synthetic oil, but according to the oil bottle, it is a 3 synthetic basestock formula. Is Glider saying that the Syn3 Harley Davidson oil is a BLEND? If that is the case, I have been spending $11.00/qt for garbage! If that's true, thanks, Glider, for the heads up, bro.

Last edited:
Yep, you been paying to much for HD SYN3! It's only 60% Syn! So yes, it's a semi Syn oil! Chevron has a great semi syn at less than 1/2 the cost of HD SYN 3, but I surely wouldn't use it in the bike! I'm just saying, good for the cars!

Where the hell do you find Mobil 1 V-Twin full synthetic oil at? I can find the Mobil 1 full synthetic all over, but I can't find the V-Twin Mobil 1 at auto parts stores, bike shops, or anywhere else I've looked. Who carries it? And is it better than the Redline because I've found that at a bike shop. I need the extra cooling since I live in Las Vegas and it's typically about 106-108 degrees in the daytime here and my oil approaches 245 degrees when I'm riding. Hope you can help me out here, bro. Thanks for the posts, too.
Ride on...

Where the hell do you find Mobil 1 V-Twin full synthetic oil at? I can find the Mobil 1 full synthetic all over, but I can't find the V-Twin Mobil 1 at auto parts stores, bike shops, or anywhere else I've looked. Who carries it? And is it better than the Redline because I've found that at a bike shop. I need the extra cooling since I live in Las Vegas and it's typically about 106-108 degrees in the daytime here and my oil approaches 245 degrees when I'm riding. Hope you can help me out here, bro. Thanks for the posts, too.
Ride on...

Have you considered a Oil Cooler ?? It will make a difference if your riding in 106-108 degrees

Im finding it at Autozone and Murrays autoparts.. didnt see a place you could order it on line .. Red line should be as good but more expensive .. Ams oil is good also and Bel RAy or Spectro all in a full syth

Are those all auto AND bike oils or does each have a separate line of oils just for bikes? I don't care about the cost as long as it feeds the beast without giving it ulcers. And, yes. I have considered an oil cooler. It is on order right now. But thanks DD.

they all make oils just for the Bikes..

Spectro
Bel Ray
and red line im pretty sure

can be ordered out from

Parts For Your Harley

or Dennis Kirk | Frontpage

If you have to go that route ams oil can also be ordered i cant find the link from the guy that has best prices im sure i saw it on here so someone will have it probley Glider

Thanks, Hobbit. Incidentally, anyone know? Is the oil drain plug on a 2006 Deluxe FLSTNI the Allen head bolt underneath on the right side of the engine case? Is the engine and the case oil the same or are they in separate areas? Sorry, first Evo.

If my Evo didn't have over 100k I would put in synthetic. An engine with lots of oil or time on it may become a leaker by switching to synthetic. True synthetic will clean the seals. Older engines will goop up the seals and provide some oil tightness with that. Synthetics will clean the seals and the inside of the engine. One thing to think about is that synthetics and petroleum motor oils all use the same additives and they all wear out at the same time. Not the viscosity but the additives. Some thing to think about but I have never heard a mechanic say he ever saw an engine damaged due to oil break down. Fossil

Back