free website stats program Oil Suggestions For Harleys | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Suggestions For Harleys

DJBiker

Ok, I have 12,500 0n my Heritage. I switched to Syn3 at the first change due to dealer recommendation. At 2,000 miles I switched to Mobil 1 V-twin in all three holes and found a noticeable improvement and a 20 degree engine temp drop.

Since the first service, I have changed engine oil another three times in the 12,000 miles and the primary and tranny twice. Yesterday, I put in the Spectro Platinum tranny 75/140 and was hoping for some kind of noticeable improvement, but really had none. To be honest, I didn't have any issues with the Mobile 1 20w50. Shifting was smooth and quiet. When I drained out the Mobil 1 out of the tranny, the color was very good, also very clean. Only a very thin sheen of metal on the magnet and none in the drained oil that I could see at all. Stuff looked new and had 5,000 miles on it.

I was a bit surprised how thin the Spectro was when I poured it in. I have the GL5 red variety, so should be the correct stuff, just seemed thin. At $16.50 a quart, I hope it was worth it, but we'll have to see. Rode 200 miles yesterday. The only improvement that I could honestly detect was that it did seem to downshift a little smoother.

Mobile 1 20w50 is an engine oil and lacks the necessary additives for use in a gear box. The Spectro will show an improvement , sometimes it takes a few miles to work in but this is only about maybe the 2nd or 3rd time I have heard that there wasn't a significant changes in shifting. All other reports were positive in feeling a difference in shifting.

To be perfectly honest, I didn' notice any real issues with the Mobil 1. I understand that it is not designed for the tranny, and I need a proper lubricant for this, and for this reason I changed to the Spectro. Just a bit surpised that I really didn't notice much change.

I noticed a big change in my bike in 10 miles but I switched from Syn3. If I were you I'd keep using it. I'm sure the tranny will run much longer without problems with the Spectro.

I noticed a big change in my bike in 10 miles but I switched from Syn3. If I were you I'd keep using it. I'm sure the tranny will run much longer without problems with the Spectro.

I do plan on keeping this bike forever. It is my 15th bike, but my 1st Harley. I may add to the stable in the future, but plan on keeping this one forever. That is the reason for the switch to Spectro. I want the best thing money can buy in this thing. Oil is cheaper than iron.

Ok, I have 12,500 0n my Heritage. I switched to Syn3 at the first change due to dealer recommendation. At 2,000 miles I switched to Mobil 1 V-twin in all three holes and found a noticeable improvement and a 20 degree engine temp drop.

Since the first service, I have changed engine oil another three times in the 12,000 miles and the primary and tranny twice. Yesterday, I put in the Spectro Platinum tranny 75/140 and was hoping for some kind of noticeable improvement, but really had none. To be honest, I didn't have any issues with the Mobile 1 20w50. Shifting was smooth and quiet. When I drained out the Mobil 1 out of the tranny, the color was very good, also very clean. Only a very thin sheen of metal on the magnet and none in the drained oil that I could see at all. Stuff looked new and had 5,000 miles on it.

I was a bit surprised how thin the Spectro was when I poured it in. I have the GL5 red variety, so should be the correct stuff, just seemed thin. At $16.50 a quart, I hope it was worth it, but we'll have to see. Rode 200 miles yesterday. The only improvement that I could honestly detect was that it did seem to downshift a little smoother.

You may have just gotten used to it but your tranny is saying thank you every mile you ride:p

I use Mobil V-Twin in my engine and the Primary ( I know some don't like that) with no issues in the past 8000 miles and use QS 75W-140 in the tranny since it was readily available. Tranny shifts quiet and haven't had any issues finding neutral since I went to these choices.
Next tranny change I'll be going to Mobil 1 75W-90 gear oil and see how that goes.

Part of your quote:::

To be honest, I didn't have any issues with the Mobile 1 20w50. Shifting was smooth and quiet. When I drained out the Mobil 1 out of the tranny, the color was very good, also very clean. Only a very thin sheen of metal on the magnet and none in the drained oil that I could see at all. Stuff looked new and had 5,000 miles on it.

Harley recommends to go 20,000 miles on the tranny change.. So Any Oil You change at 5,000 miles should be looking good...

I would like to ADD My opinion here for the masses and You to read.....:::

I use Redline Shockproof Heavy in my tranny's and Have Never ever, I said NEVER EVER had a piece of metal or fuzz on my magnetic drain plug.........I change out at 20,000 miles and IT looks AS new as when I put it in..

BUT No Metal Ever!!!!! And I DID and DO notice a great BIG Difference in all the trannys I have used it in!!!!!

signed....BUBBIE

I just looked that Redline stuff up, it looks pretty good. I don't know much about it, and don't know of a dealer around here, but might order some in the future for the next change. It is cheaper than the Spectro, but with shipping might not be.

Back