free website stats program Oil study | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil study

I changed my 08 1200c to Amsoil in both holes at 1k miles. I did the clutch adjustment at 2500 miles and changed the trans/primary to the same. At 5k I chaged both and noted alot of shavings on the trans plug. Will I just changed the trans tonight with 7200 miles on it and again it had what I consider a lot of shavings. This change I am trying Spectro primary/trans lube, non synthetic. Will change at 10k when I do engine oil and compare what I find on the plug. This in my opinion is the only real test on the transmission side.

Now conversely I changed the oil, trans and primary on my friends 07 night train to amsoil 20/50 at 1k. Just changed it the second time at 5200 miles. THis time put the Amsoil in the engine only. Put the HD+ in the primary and Spectro 75/140 in the trans. Now I will tell you that when I drained the Amsoil out of all 3 holes all 3 magnetic plugs looked the same, not even enough shavings to clean off although I did wipe them regardless. At 10k I will change them again and compare. Again this is a real test at least for the non filtered stuff.

I use Mobil 1 20/50 V Twin in the engine and Spectro platinum 6 speed oil in the trans. Hard to beat it and Formula+ in the primary.

Ditto for me.
A hard combination to beat.
There are other good products out there. I just happen to choose the same products as one of the smartest bike guy I know.

And ditto on the Amsoil hype machine!
How many websites and bogus studies do you need to convince people?

I saw that study, read it all as a matter of fact.

But, Many here have experience with certain oils over long periods in bikes.

That lead me to Mobile V twin. Tried and tested.

Actually Ever wonder WHY they spend so much time and money advertising the product if it was so good?
Makes a person wonder.:D
This is the age we are living in. Nearly every company out there is trying to out spend the other to separate us from our hard earned cash. I don't think that spending on advertising means your product is trash. The industry with the most advertising money spent is the dairy industry! Does that mean milk is bad....

That study speaks volumes to me about how good Mobile V-Twin 20w50 is. Glider recommended that I get that Syn3 stuff out of all three holes - which I did. He even went further, in a private message, to recommend the Mobile V-Twin for the engine, H-D Formula+ for the primary and Spectro 75/140 for the tranny. This was for my 07 Heritage and since I traded it for an 08 Ultra Trike, I have carried that wise advise over to the new bike. In fact I took those lubricants to the dealer that built my new baby and told them to get that Syn3 stuff totally out of it. They thought I was nuts but I would not take possession until that chore had been accomplished.

after reading the study it just made me happier with the syn3 that I use. I would never use AMzoil. Like Glider says way to much hype. And it always came across to me as one of those pyramid schemes.

Why the syn3, Supporting Citgo-Hugo and it is not a very good oil as most agree.

Why would you think Amsoil is Pyramid, As far as i can remember never herd of someone calling me to discuss a business opportunity then try to sell me an amsoil distributorship. From what I see, anyone can purchased a distributorship for nominal fee and you buy right from the supplier, no one else involved, you dont get part of someone elses sales etc. and you are purchasing the distributorship directly from the company.

I think their name, AMSOIL, makes people think of AMWAY. (still think Rich Devos should be in jail for running illegal Pyramid scheme)

Okay, after all the reading I've done on oils today, I'm somewhat confused. I ride an '01 FLHP (Road King Police), 5 speed trans. I've been using HD Syn 3 in all 3 holes for a couple years, at my dealers recommendation. After all this reading, I've pretty much decided to use the Mobil 1 20w50 in my engine, but what do I want in my tranny and primary? Little help please....

Primary, you can use the Formula+ from the HD dealer and in the trans, I would suggest either Spectro platinum GL1 or GL5 or redline shockproof heavy if you can't get the spectro. It's a winning combination.

Do yourself a favor and get the syn3 out of the trans.

Spectro primary chaincase lube is fine to along with the trans oils glider listed

Back