free website stats program oil stick shooting out of Sportster | Harley Davidson Forums

oil stick shooting out of Sportster

Choppers1972

I have a 2003 sportster 883 and I recently did an oil change and a few days later i was letting the bike warm up for a min came back outside and the oil stick shot right out of the bike, sounded like a gun going off, I drained some of the oil out, and it seemed to take care of the problem until the other day i was riding at about 40mph and it did it again. I am getting back pressure in the oil tank somehow would anyone have any idea what could be causing it?

I had one (an 03' 1200) that did the same thing. It was under warranty, so I took it in and they changed the "Umbrella valves", whatever that is. It would build up oil pressure and also spew it out the air cleaner. Even blew the seal out of the oil sending unit on the bottom front of the motor.

Were are the umbrella valves located is that part of the oil pump? i drained out most of oil a bit ago and it still did it.. im wondering if my pump went out, cause it dont look like oil is circulating in the tank

if you just changed the oil and that is when this started i would look real close at the oil filter,jel

Were are the umbrella valves located is that part of the oil pump? i drained out most of oil a bit ago and it still did it.. im wondering if my pump went out, cause it dont look like oil is circulating in the tank

Sorry, I don't know where they are.

Assuming a Harley engine is like any motor I have ever tore down I think crazyfrog is referring to the valve seals.Generally there are two types an o-ring seal and an umbrella seal,the umbrella seal is the better of the two as oil sloshing around in the valve cover will wash over it and cascade away from the valve and guide.Usually if the umbrella seal is shot it will allow oil to seep down the valve stem and you will get a puff of blue smoke at start-up

the umbrella valves are located in the middle rocker cover
i believe they are part of the venting system and if they stick the crank case pressure can not be relived
a build up of crank case pressure can be pushed to the oil tank through the oil tank vent pipe which is connected to the crankcase

so if i had your problem id start by replacing the umbrella valves there are 2 in each middle rocker cover

Brian

Thanks fin,I told you I know about automotive engines,V-8 is my specialty HD is just a bit different of a beast

Unless that bike is smoking bad on startup or decell i can,t see the seals being the problem when it showed up after an oil change make sure you used the right oil filter if its not flowing right back pressure will occur and your oil bag will be were its going to occur,jel

Haven't had any problems with mine but have read about a lot of problems with them
they are just a rubber flap valve and if the rubber hardens they don't flap open
Ive always checked mine any time i have the rocker covers off
and I'm always stripping one of the bikes however since yesterday i have all 3 working and usable

Brian

Back