free website stats program oil spewing out 89 electra glide | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

oil spewing out 89 electra glide

If memory serves, the oil tank is higher than the pump, you could have an oil pump check ball problem. If that's the case, the oil drained into the motor cases, via gravity. When you started it, the motor pushed the oil out of the case thru the breather. The pump could not return the large volume of oil to the tank, so it had no where else to go.

Depends on the problem. A shop manual is a good start. If it's a check ball problem, you can get a new ball and VERY CAREFULLY polish the ball seat to remove the build up. Or it may be a piece of junk is caught under the ball.

If the seat is badly pitted you may need to replace the pump. If you polish the seat, you can start the motor to get the oil out of the pump, but you will need to change it right away. Polishing grit will cause wear in the motor. You can use very fine sandpapaer, but be sure to change the oil.

Or the spring for the ball is too weak to maintain pressure, letting oil bypass when the motor is off.

You can test to see if it's the check ball by putting a known quanity of oil in the tank, now that you have blown the oil out of the cases, and wait to see if the drains into the cases. I would make sure the oil is on the dipstick so it's easy to tell if the level has gone down.

Last edited:
I had a 91 electraglide that would do the same thing if it sat for any length of time. I talked to a HD mechanic at the time and he stated the check valve was sticking. He said it was a common occurance for that vintage glide and valve replacement was the best fix. I cured my problem by selling the machine. Just passing along what I was told. Good luck in finding your cure.

I had a 91 electraglide that would do the same thing if it sat for any length of time. I talked to a HD mechanic at the time and he stated the check valve was sticking. He said it was a common occurance for that vintage glide and valve replacement was the best fix. I cured my problem by selling the machine. Just passing along what I was told. Good luck in finding your cure.

See post 13 click on the link:s

My 88' FLHTC does the same thing after being parked for any length of time. I just run it for a few minutes and most of the oil will return to the oil tank. But a fair amount blows out the vent untill the crankcase is scavenged. Place a pan under the vent and you will not make such a mess.

Oil can be pushed out the crank case breather by too much pressure in the crank case caused by blow by due to worn rings/cylinders so once the check valve has been checked/replaced if you still have the problem do a compression test

Brian

thanks all , i orderd a new pump seeing im not sure . if this dosnt fix it (witch i think the problum is the ball seat ) than ill step back and punt.

Hi

This could also be a sign of worn rings, or check valve leaking/not sealing.
Does it keep spewing oil, or only the first minutes. If this is the case it is probably the check valve (if you haven't tried, let it run for a while to see if it slows down...)

Back