oil spewing out 89 electra glide

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by paul2388, Nov 2, 2011.

1. paul2388

paul2388 Member

just got this bike and its spewing oil out of the (what i think is the crank case breather) little filter on it and its comeing out there. and of course the manual that came with it is missing that page. any help would be great

2. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Is there the proper amount of oil in engine? Overfilling can cause oil tocome out of breather.

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

Breather gear in the nose cone could be out of timing and causing it. Only way to tell is to pull the noise cone. Maybe that's why the page was removed. :s

4. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Check and clean overhead tappet screen see self help section, If breather gear or oil pump gears are bad this could happen also

5. paul2388

paul2388 Member

nope, in fact the stick didnt even show any on it so i put just enough in it to start it

6. Cyclops

Cyclops Active Member

Welcome to the forum. I'm confident you'll find the problem and a solution for such. As already mentioned, what is the current oil level?

7. SledDog

SledDog Senior Member Staff Member Moderator

Being that it's an 89, is it still stock? Do you know if any work has been doine to the motor? Glider could have a good point, breather out of time.

Where is the located? If it is under the engine or mounted low, you can try moving it up higher. You may not be returning oil to the tank so it's being sent out the breather.

And welcome to HDTalking.

8. glider

glider Veteran Member

Do you have a factory manual for the bike? If not get one, it's the best $60 you'll ever spend.

9. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Welcome to The Forum, We will get this figured out :s

10. paul2388

paul2388 Member

lits not even showing on the stick