free website stats program Oil spewing from clutch adjustment screw on primary cover | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil spewing from clutch adjustment screw on primary cover

72Sportster

Hello all, I'm new here and so glad I found this site! I have a 72 Sportster with a 73 Ironhead. As the subject states, oil leaks from the clutch adjuster access port. The engine han't been worked, the tranny was rebuilt last year. I'm hoping the problem is only a gasket or o-ring in the primary. Any thoughts on this? Thanks guys, ride safe

Phil

I have a 74 xl and I wrap the threads with teflon tape before putting that plug back in, and mine does not leak. Try it and see if it fixes it.

Hello all, I'm new here and so glad I found this site! I have a 72 Sportster with a 73 Ironhead. As the subject states, oil leaks from the clutch adjuster access port. The engine han't been worked, the tranny was rebuilt last year. I'm hoping the problem is only a gasket or o-ring in the primary. Any thoughts on this? Thanks guys, ride safe

Phil

Google You can use this also most Auto supply stores carry it

Thanks, I guess I'm worried that the oil reaches up to the screw at all...is this normal for the oil to be that high in the primary? Also, I thought teflon would deteriorate if contacted with petroleum...

Thanks, I guess I'm worried that the oil reaches up to the screw at all...is this normal for the oil to be that high in the primary? Also, I thought teflon would deteriorate if contacted with petroleum...

The Teflon should be OK, is there an O ring on that plug seems to me there should be, the oil level should be OK IMO it has double duty in that hole it has to lube the whole primary and the tranny

I'll take the plug out and check about the o-ring...didn't even think of that little fact, so worried that something inside was/is at issue. Is the oil level that high only when running, and decreases when engine is off?

I'll take the plug out and check about the o-ring...didn't even think of that little fact, so worried that something inside was/is at issue. Is the oil level that high only when running, and decreases when engine is off?

Oil will be splashed around by the chain and clutch hub Normal that is how it lubes are you checking it level or on kick stand that will make a huge change in the level Good Luck

Back