free website stats program Oil Shelf Life | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Shelf Life

hd4evr

Banned
My local auto parts store has Mobil1V-Twin Syn on sale. If I buy a case, 12 bottles, I'm only gonna use half that in a year, my bike takes 3 qts. So 6 of those qts.are gonna be over 2 years old before they get used. Will the oil still be OK being stored that long?

My local auto parts store has Mobil1V-Twin Syn on sale. If I buy a case, 12 bottles, I'm only gonna use half that in a year, my bike takes 3 qts. So 6 of those qts.are gonna be over 2 years old before they get used. Will the oil still be OK being stored that long?

Got any friends? :yes

Don't think you want to keep it around that long especially in the garage with potentially greater temp swings.

TQ

IMO --- I think it will be ok if you keep the oil in a "reasonable" climate. Oil viscosity breaks down when subjected to extreme temps.i.e. hot to cold to hot. Besides you may get a chance to put more miles on your scoot than you planned and now you use up the oil you have stocked away!!! BTW--- what kinda price they have marked on it????

JMHO with nothing to base it on. As long as it is sealed in the bottles, I wouldn't worry about it myself.

If it goes bad wouldn't they put an expiration date on the bottle?

Oil can are hermetically sealed,so unless the seal is broken the oil has a shelf life of longer then any of us!:(

from Mobil 1's website.
Question:
Shelf Life of Unopened Mobil 1 Quarts
Does Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil (in an unopened quart) have any sort of shelf life, like conventional motor oil?
-- John Lantz, Littleton, CO

Answer:
ExxonMobil recommends a five year maximum shelf-life for engine oils, including Mobil 1.

LOL!!! BUY IT. I would use oil as long as it is sealed and climate controlled atmosphere indefinetely. Have you ever thought about how old that oil is right now?:s

Back