Oil Shelf Life

Discussion in 'Oil' started by hd4evr, Dec 3, 2008.

1. hd4evr

hd4evr Banned

My local auto parts store has Mobil1V-Twin Syn on sale. If I buy a case, 12 bottles, I'm only gonna use half that in a year, my bike takes 3 qts. So 6 of those qts.are gonna be over 2 years old before they get used. Will the oil still be OK being stored that long?

2. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Got any friends? :yes

Don't think you want to keep it around that long especially in the garage with potentially greater temp swings.

TQ

3. R. Lewis

R. Lewis Senior Member Retired Moderators

IMO --- I think it will be ok if you keep the oil in a "reasonable" climate. Oil viscosity breaks down when subjected to extreme temps.i.e. hot to cold to hot. Besides you may get a chance to put more miles on your scoot than you planned and now you use up the oil you have stocked away!!! BTW--- what kinda price they have marked on it????

4. glider

glider Veteran Member

JMHO with nothing to base it on. As long as it is sealed in the bottles, I wouldn't worry about it myself.

5. wildspirit97

wildspirit97 Senior Member

If it goes bad wouldn't they put an expiration date on the bottle?

6. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

Oil can are hermetically sealed,so unless the seal is broken the oil has a shelf life of longer then any of us!:(

7. R. Lewis

R. Lewis Senior Member Retired Moderators

Oh man- my oil is SPOILED , I can't put this on my corn flakes!!! ha-ha-ha!

sorry I'll go back to my corner now....:newsmile026:

8. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

Right now,facing the wall:bigsmiley28:

9. AOW1

AOW1 Member

from Mobil 1's website.
    Question:
    Shelf Life of Unopened Mobil 1 Quarts
    Does Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil (in an unopened quart) have any sort of shelf life, like conventional motor oil?
    -- John Lantz, Littleton, CO

Answer:
    ExxonMobil recommends a five year maximum shelf-life for engine oils, including Mobil 1.

10. walleye

walleye Junior Member Contributor

LOL!!! BUY IT. I would use oil as long as it is sealed and climate controlled atmosphere indefinetely. Have you ever thought about how old that oil is right now?:s