Oil sender

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by jel123, Mar 7, 2009.

1. jel123

jel123 Active Member

Anyone know how many pounds it is mine is bad and the harley shop dosn,t have in stock so i,m going to napa to get a auto one,jel

2. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Don't know the cost, but a "sender" for an oil pressure guage is either just a tube moving the pressurized oil to an internal Burtonoli? tube/mechanical linkage inside the guage that moves in relation to the pressure....
    Or it is a "true" electrical sender, basically a variable resistor/rheostat to ground, as both have been used on HD's as standard and aftermarket equipment. I would check your service manual or electrical schematic if true std HD guage or identify vendor of guage (check for stampings or model #) to determine which type you have.

3. maine-e-axe

maine-e-axe Junior Member

I have a napa sending unit on mine, no trouble, just take the old one and match it up, good luck.

4. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

The gauge on the dash of my UC goes to 60psi. At times (new oil, cold day, running rpms - 2500-3000rpm) the oil pressure is almost that high.

TQ

5. jaxdwg

jaxdwg Active Member

if you don't have a gauge then the light is just an idiot lite and shuts off at a minimum pressure. I would be suspect of a napa switch if you don't know what that minimum pressure is.----jack