free website stats program Oil(s) - I am not used to the $$$ | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil(s) - I am not used to the $$$

just toss in my 2Cents worth -- It could be that paying extra HIGH prices for oils does not sit easy with some because all you do is throw it away after a few thousand miles --- unlike Chrome that stays on your bike year after year looking good!! BTW --- me, I like using the Good stuff too

Bill

================================================

I tried to edit my last post but it "timed out" on me. So I will ask here and PLEASE moderators, please move as you deem appropiate.

I would be curious to know - at what cost would you stop buying expensive synthetic oils and return to dino oils?? $15/qt, $20/qt, $25/qt or even up near $50/qt. There must be a stopping place somewhere.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
My buddy is an amsoil dealer using only amsoil in everything he owns.His bike frequently knocks when he starts it. He has about 120000 miles on it and it still runs strong but it knocks. I used to use amsoil and my bike would knock even after I did the cam swap and new lifters and pushrods. I switched to Mobil1 Vtwin and it knocked some. I am using Lucas now and I haven't heard a knock, the bike is as quite as it ever has been. I was also a preferred dealer and like pigrider I didn't like paying preferred dealer and shipping costs, I never really knew how much I was paying on a mixed ordered for a filter or a bottle of ATF or motor oil.
Ken

Billbo;42708 ================================================ I would be curious to know - at what cost would you stop buying expensive synthetic oils and return to dino oils?? $15/qt said:
Hard to answer that question,
I think you'll find that as the price of Synthetic gos up, so does the price of Dino. Its all relative.

just toss in my 2Cents worth -- It could be that paying extra HIGH prices for oils does not sit easy with some because all you do is throw it away after a few thousand miles --- unlike Chrome that stays on your bike year after year looking good!! BTW --- me, I like using the Good stuff too

Bill

I tried to edit my last post but it "timed out" on me. So I will ask here and PLEASE moderators, please move as you deem appropiate.

I would be curious to know - at what cost would you stop buying expensive synthetic oils and return to dino oils?? $15/qt, $20/qt, $25/qt or even up near $50/qt. There must be a stopping place somewhere.

Bill

I guess, because I have never used a synthetic in anything, am feeling the sticker shock for a quart of synthetic compare to what I normally buy, conventional. Is there really much that much "engineering" that goes into a synthetic? Considering that I have seen prices for other V-twin synthetics for almost $17 a quart, I would consider $15 my stopping point. My 97 RK had 46K on it when I traded it for my current 08 Ultra. I know that it had tons of more miles left in it and it did not use/lose motor oil in between changes, so it had many miles left on it. The reason I am considering a synthetic in my Ultra, is because I seem to be able to feel how much hotter it runs. And I can't stand how clunky the 6 speed is! Thanks for all the info from everyone!:s

You must remember that the syn oils can be used for a longer change interval. 5000 mile oil changes are acceptable so that will decrease the cost difference per change. Also syn oil molacles are all the same size so it flows the same hot or cold. Syn oils do have benifits over mineral oils. Some big trucks run syn oil forever, never changing the oil. They change the factory oil filters and install a bypass filtering system and top up the engine oil.
Ken

Be glad you don't live in Europe. I went with a friend today to a local Shell station to buy some oil to put into his Moto Guzzi. Full synth oil there is 29 euros per liter ($37.27 U.S.D. per quart). He ended up buying the cheapest oil on the shelf at 9 euros per liter ($11.57 per quart). :swoon

i recently did the engine oil. Amsoil 20/50 over here (UK) cost me $106.40 inc postage and tax. works out to $26.60 per quart but i expect because i do my own oil change it prob dosent work out more (or much more) the if dealer did it and used the harley stuff.

One more thing to think about is a high quality and serviced often air filter. If you live in a dusty area guess where all that dirty air is mixing, it is contaminating the engine oil as well as scoring the valves cylinders and rings all dependent on clean oil of the correct viscosity JMO

lets see mobil1 $8 onsale 3 qrts filtor $12 optional o-ring $.50 ,

oil change $36.50 every 3 to 5 thousand miles

another $25 to do the tranny and primary every second or third oil change .

i use mobil1 vtwin 10w40 for primary and mobil1 75w140 for gearbox

Back