free website stats program oil return line rusty | Harley Davidson Forums

oil return line rusty

pulled my oil return line last night for the first time and inside the bag is all rusty after the line came out there was a o ring kinda half in half out of the hole so i picked it out and checked the manuel turns out there are two o rings and a spacer in there i got the spacer out but the last o ring is rusted in place needles to say i am concerned i want to change my oil but i dont want to end up pushing the o ring into my oil bag also whats up with the rust???
any help is appreciated

More than likely the oil hasn't been warmed up sufficiently to burn off the condensation in the oil. (Short rides)

well i have had the bike for a while and i ride it alot and my oil temp stays up around 250 i even checked the temp/oil plugs acuracy with a candy thermometer. The stealership says its normal well rust doesn't seem normal especialy where my oil is kept. I am not sure what to do about it stealership says i can put up with it or have them replace the tank. I have access to rust nutralizer so i could rub some of that around the hole. i dont want rust geting in my oil and i sure cant afford to put a new oil tank on it...

so?? a litle rust is ok or not?

Last edited by a moderator:
Instead of pondering the answer, remove the tank and clean out the rust and be done with the problem.

I think the rust is from washing the bike or driving in the rain. The little chrome cover on the oil line certainly isn't water proof and a bit of moisture may get in there. My tank fitting where the line comes in also has it but nothing inside the tank or return line so I haven't been bothered to worry about the bit of rust in the inlet fitting. JMHO

Back