free website stats program Oil Recommendations? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Recommendations?

Sooo just for fun I tried a castrol part synthetic...bike seems to run smoother and cooler, however, lots of engine noise now. More than ever before. I kept the hd formula+ in the primary... thats working just swell too.
WAP.gif

2007 RK. Mobil 1 in the engine, HD Formula +P in the primary and Spectro Platinum 6 in tranny. Change engine every 2500, primary and trans every 5000 miles. No problems.

That seems a little wasteful to me.....HD calls out for 20,000 miles on the tranny Gear Oil...:newsmile049:

Personally, I say it would go for 40,000 with a Good (Redline ShockProof Heavy) gear oil in there...

But follow what HD says...

Just Say'n

signed....BUBBIE

Unlike the motor and primary, the trans is a clean environment. As long as the oil doesn't break down it will last for a long time. Redline Shockproof will take a very long time to break down. You almost have to shake it out of the bottle............

That figure of 40,000 came from the engineer at Redline... When I talked with him, Stating that HD Now says to go 20,000 on the tranny... He said the Redline ShockProof Heavy would go for 40,000 miles and No problem doing so in the harley tranny's...

BUT said he would follow HD's suggested: 20,000 mile change.:s

signed....BUBBIE

I'm ALL WET HERE......

we are Talking about Sportsters Here NOT big twins...:shock

MY BAD.... The tranny and primary/clutch SHARE oil in the same compartment...

Every 3-6 thousand miles and changing Both oils is common, I do Both mine at 4,000...

The Redline ShockProof is for Big Twins tranny's not for the sportsters...

Formula+ works well in the Sportsters... That is what I use in my 06 1200 Roadster and I Also Dump BOTH Oils @ every engine oil and filter change...

Just had to clear up my other postings here... GEEZEEEEEE:28:

signed....BUBBIE

IF a moderator wants to CLEAN Up my post here Feel welcome to do so..... OR add corrected information

LOL! love ya Bubs, I was just saying that 40k sounded like a lot for a motorcycle engine, but then again, I'm still a NEWB lol. I trust your judgement as up to this point you haven't steered me wrong yet lol. But I do agree that it never hurts to change it sooner than the suggested intervals.

I've been running diesel motor oil in mine. I use the Valvoline Premium Blue 15w40 diesel oil and K&N filters, and been doing it since around 15k miles. No problems to report.

I did remember when I switched, the engine seems to have a bit more of a tapping noise from the lifters, but nothing extreme.

Plus, from the oil flow chart for viscosity during cooler weather (I ride a lot in <40F) it flows to the critical parts quicker.

Another guy who works at a Ford dealer uses Motorcraft 15w40 Diesel engine oil and hasn't had any issues either.

I change my oil at 3k intervals, and my trans at 6k intervals. I use Drag Specialties for that, because I replaced the stock clutch with a Barnett clutch, and they recommend not using Harley oils.

I did the clutch swap at 30k, in fear of those brass rivets.

Back