free website stats program Oil Recommendations? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Recommendations?

I will add my .02 cents worth here. Not that it matters. in my 1993 FXRS I run strictly dyno oils. The 07 EGC has always run synthetics and I have tried many different synthetics. What works best for me is Bel-Ray 15-50 It quiets the valve train and I find that the oil pressure stays higher in warm weather and if I go long on an oil change it still maintains.

Thanks for the input guys. Now off to get a tap and die kit since some of my primary bolts are stripped to no end. My engine oil drain plug is also stripped. The hex flats are worn down to rounded nubs and the allen key insert on it is just a circular hole. Whoever had the bike last was a real piece of work...
WAP.gif

Bummer...hope that person wasn't wrenchin' on too many things.

Good luck with that and your lube choices.

I originally coined this phrase:

Oil is like a Religion you know,,,,,,,

The One you believe in IS the Correct One...
:21:

signed....BUBBIE

@bubbie LOL! true... I think I'll give a synth a try this go around... just to try it. Ill stick to the formula + in the primary though. got me a new primary drain plug and new derby cover bolts. Ready to rock it. On my way to pick up a new starter clutch now too since that decided to take a dump on me.

Oil threads can escalate into heated discussions on occasion, but that said, Red Line is never a bad choice in either hole.

:small3d026:

I Bet no one Knew I use REDLINE Products...:newsmile091:

20/50 OR 20/60 Redline full synthetic in the motors
MTL in the big twin's primary/clutch
ShockProof Heavy in the Tranny.

Formula + in my sport 1200 Roadster Primary/Tranny

signed....BUBBIE

I like the way Redline shockproof makes my tranny shift. Seems to stay silky for about 2,000 miles.
I use the 20/60 full syn for the crank. I am confident it is a good product, there are many good synthetic oils out there. It do get hot here.
I like Bubbie's comment about oil, very true!

Sorry this took so long, vacation, and other stuff. It was the noise (clanging) from the engine. Once I got around 60-70mph the motor just sounded horrible. To try and make a long story short, my neighbor an HD mechanic suggested to dump the syn and go back to regular HD oil in my model and see if there was any difference. Did the heat go down with the syn, some, did the clanging stop once I dumped the syn, yes!!. Just my 2 cents.

2007 RK. Mobil 1 in the engine, HD Formula +P in the primary and Spectro Platinum 6 in tranny. Change engine every 2500, primary and trans every 5000 miles. No problems.

Back