free website stats program oil question | Harley Davidson Forums

oil question

marknett

Ihave a 1996 12oo sportsterthat I need to change the oil in the primary .. I want to go with a synthetic so what do you guys recommend?

As the sportster primary oil also lubricates the gearbox the oil needs to be suitable for a gearbox and a wet clutch Harley formula+ is suitable but there are others but they do need to be formulated for the sportster trans

Brian

Definitely don't want synth in primary on Sporty - possible slippage - stick w/HD Formula+...

You will hear lots of opinions here on what tyoe if oil is best for your ride. I believe it is similar to tire choices.....how do you ride and what have you done to the bike! My ride is strictly stock.....no performance upgrades....and I commute on mine and tour on weekends which puts lots of miles on my bike but none of the miles are "hard"!.....in other words I don't ride with my hair on fire! I use conventional oil but change it often. Change all 3 holes every 5k and engine oil every 2,500 to keep the oil clean.

If you ride hard and have performance upgrades going to synthetic is a good idea.....but for me.....conventional oil is fine IMO for how I ride......econimical because I put on about 12k miles a year and change it multiple times during the season.

I've been running the recommended Harley Sport-Trans since the bike was new. ("02 Sporty)

I can get the Sport-Trans and why shop around with a product that works? Not going to save money (gas) by driving all over.
I get thousands of miles in for just a few dollars for the oils.

Harley has replaced the Sport-Trans with the Formula+ and if needed, just stop in any Harley shop and buy it.

Wal-Mart isn't a motorcycle shop.

Back