free website stats program Oil question (No not what kind) | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil question (No not what kind)

Goofuss

When changing my oil on my 06 FXSTI, do I need to have it upright to get out all the oil? Or can I leave it on the stand to let it drain? Thanks

My softail is an 03. When I seen what was being left in the regular change, I was glad I did the complete change. Everything went smoothly but reinstalling the line back into the oil tank. Either I messed up the tank fitting when removing or trying to reinstall the line. Anyway the line is in and it doesn't leak. I am going to replace the tank fitting later. You need to exert considerable downward pressure when removing and reinstalling the line.

There are a lot of different techniques. Some that I have read on this forum.
1 - Cardboard and aluminum foil to create a path for the oil, e.g. wrap a piece of folded cardboard in foil, then place it under the filter, so as you take the filter off the oil goes down the shoot into the pan. (I've also seen some plastic parts made that you could buy that achieve this effect, can't remember where)
2 - Ziplock back on the oil filterwhile you take it off (could combine this with the above if you liked.

Gotta find what works for you, I vote for 1 and 2 together.

Do as mentioned above (actually I just use a couple of sheets of legal size printer paper), but poke (drill) a small (like 1/4") hole in the end of the filter at the "bottom" and "top" of the end to drain as much of the oil out of the filter before you loosen it. I might suggest you slide your filter wrench on first before poking any holes. Once the oil is pretty much out of the filter, remove it as usual. You should have a lot less mess to worry about.

You might also put a bunch of paper towels under the filter to absorb any oil that gets away from you when you loosen it.

TQ

So Oil change is done. Still had the clean up. ( using tips for next time). I checked my oil again this morning after riding about 80 miles yesterday. The bike is cold but the oil is reading ok for hot. I only put in 3.25 qts. Is this right?

Back