free website stats program Oil pump | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil pump

Mnharleyrider20

Recently I had been having problems with some serious blow by and smoke from the tail pipe.

Finally determined that the oil pump was working correctly and it was sumping the motor. Working on that issue right now.

After doing some research I found that it is actually a common thing in the Twin Cams to have oil pump issues. Anyone else ever have a problem?

Welcome to the forum, I know it was common on earlier evo's, the TC's had a problem pulking oil but was much improved with the new oil in 07, the oil tank is under the tranny on the 07 road glide, oil sumping is usually caused by gravity on softails when it bleeds pass the check ball. What mods do you have on the engine? Are the breather passages going to the air cleaner unrestricted?

You may have to much oil in the crankcase ! My 08 only takes 3-1/4 qts in the crankcase when I do a oil & filter change , the 1st sign of to much oil in the crankcase is oil in the air filter . Oil will puke out the intake & collect in the air filter & that will give you the impression that the bike is burning oil . If you take the bike to the dealer for oil changes they put in 4 qts & that will cause problems . After the dealer over filled my bike I am doing my own oil changes . The touring model service manual calls for 3-1/2 qts but that amount over fills my bike so start with 3-1/4 qts .

I thought it may have been to much oil at first also, but drained it put some new oil in and added less that the first time, 3 1/2 quarts with the same problem. Did some digging and this seems to be a problem with the TC oil pump, almost like it is undersized. Just curious if anyone else has ever had a problem with it.

Thanks for the replies!

I had oil puking out of my air filter when I put in 3-1/2 qts ,when I started using 3-1/4 qts the oil stop coming out of the intake , your oil pressure should be around 32lb when cruising & 7lb when at a idel that is when the bike is at riding temps . If your bike is having those oil pressure readings I would say the oil pump is OK .

Best bet is to ride the bike till it's at full opperating tempture, then let it idle a minute, turn it off and check the oil level on the side stand to be sure it's below the full mark.

Chopper I pay attention to your stuff so I must be missing something here. I check the oil level cold while on the side stand. I like it just at the "add" line on the stick when cold..not much higher..maybe 1/8 inch at most. When I check with the oil hot I'm on the bike with it upright not with it on the side stand. You check yours hot while on the side stand?

Chopper I pay attention to your stuff so I must be missing something here. I check the oil level cold while on the side stand. I like it just at the "add" line on the stick when cold..not much higher..maybe 1/8 inch at most. When I check with the oil hot I'm on the bike with it upright not with it on the side stand. You check yours hot while on the side stand?
Yes sir, this is copy and pasted right out of the 05 touring manual. One good thing about the way you're doing it you'll never have to worry about over filling, but I would follow the book, this is the way I always do it except I keep it just a touch below the full mark to be safe, I just use the cold check to make sure it's safe for a test ride.
This is the most accurate way to check your oil.

Perform engine oil level HOT CHECK as follows:
a. Ride motorcycle until engine is at normal operating temperature.
b. With the motorcycle resting on the jiffy stand on level ground, allow engine to idle for 1-2 minutes. Turn engine off.
c. Wipe off the dipstick and insert it back into the oil pan with the plug pushed completely into the fill spout.
d. Remove the dipstick and note the level of the oil. Add only enough oil to bring the level to the FULL mark on the dipstick. Do not overfill.
12. Start engine and carefully check for leaks around hoses, drain plug and oil filter

IT MAY BE A FAULTY OIL PUMP..... Just because it is a 07 and newer style HIGH VOLUME doesn't mean that the SUMP GEAROTER GEARS are TAKING all the SUMP OIL out of the motor..

TOO MUCH OIL IN SUMP AREA MAKES THE MOTOR RUN SSLOW AOR HELD BACK.. SOME CALL IT SLUGGISH

If too much oil is left behind, it will do the same thing FLOODING the engine with foamed oil kicking up from the crank and it also will show up at the air cleaner unit.... IS THERE A LOT OF OIL THERE???

If a lot of oil iSN"T at the VENT area in AIR CLEANER.... you MAY have bad rings or valve guides/seals or both...

did I over look how many miles on the bike?
signed....BUBBIE

Back