free website stats program oil pump shaft clip | Harley Davidson Forums

oil pump shaft clip

nascar7613

Working on a 1997 Road King oil pump with the engine in the bike. Is there a trick to get the oil pump shaft clip on? It's the clip on the outside of the engine, not the one on the cam side. When I try to put it on it either pushes the shaft back inside the gear or, if I get it hooked in the slot, I can get it about halfway on then it pops off. I don't want to stretch it out of shape.

Working on a 1997 Road King oil pump with the engine in the bike. Is there a trick to get the oil pump shaft clip on? It's the clip on the outside of the engine, not the one on the cam side. When I try to put it on it either pushes the shaft back inside the gear or, if I get it hooked in the slot, I can get it about halfway on then it pops off. I don't want to stretch it out of shape.

Are you using snap-ring pliers? If not, run over to Harbor Freight, Northern Tools, or Sears Hardware and pick up a pair. It will let you spread the snap ring enough to slip it over the shaft.

TQ

This thing is not a snap ring, it's a spring clip. I tried to use my snap ring pliers, but it just pops off of them when I try to spread it open. The spring clip doesn't have the holes in it like a snap ring does. I thought maybe someone here might have dealt with this clip before and figured out an easy way to install it. Jim's makes a tool for it but it's too long to use with the engine in the bike.

I usually have the other end of the shaft shoved outwards so it can't move. I then work the clip in place. Do you have the nose cone open? It needs to be to properly fit the pump back on.
tourbox

No, I do not have the nosecone off, but I think that is probably what I need to do to keep the shaft from pushing back in. Thanks for the input.

It is critical that the oil pump, once torqued down to specks that it has no binding. If there is it will shear at 1 out of the 3 1/4 wood drift keys. To check for binding the cam and pinion gears must be out. Then rotate with finger several revolution for binding. I usually rotate it both directions. If you are lucky it will have adj. push rods.
tourbox

It is critical that the oil pump, once torqued down to specks that it has no binding. If there is it will shear at 1 out of the 3 1/4 wood drift keys. To check for binding the cam and pinion gears must be out. Then rotate with finger several revolution for binding. I usually rotate it both directions. If you are lucky it will have adj. push rods.
tourbox

:s I have been known to pack the gears with Vaseline and rotate the engine several times to prevent a dry start, and Tourbox is spot on on checking for binding, and avoid mixing up the feed and scavenger gears Follow the torque per the gaskets used, there were running changes on this

Last edited by a moderator:
Back