free website stats program Oil pump issues??? | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil pump issues???

ftboy02

I have a 2001 Fat Boy, last week went to start engine after sitting for a couple months, after it started it built pressure in the oil tank and blew the dipstick out! I though it was due to the colder temps and the thickness of the oil, now after sitting in a 60 degree shop for 3 days I tried again and the same thing happened, any suggestions. Could it be something in a crankcase vent, airlock, plugged return lines not sure. Thanks

Oh yeah just the standard Harley 20/50 in it!

I have a 2001 Fat Boy, last week went to start engine after sitting for a couple months, after it started it built pressure in the oil tank and blew the dipstick out! I though it was due to the colder temps and the thickness of the oil, now after sitting in a 60 degree shop for 3 days I tried again and the same thing happened, any suggestions. Could it be something in a crankcase vent, airlock, plugged return lines not sure. Thanks

Oh yeah just the standard Harley 20/50 in it!

Uh oh. Not good. I would think that your return line is OK, but would worry about the the pump feed side. I don't think your Fatboy comes standard with an oil pressure gauge, but it would be very useful to make sure that you have adequate oil pressure. Perhaps you can locate one and temporarily replace your oil pressure switch with the gauge to see what you have. Let us know.

TQ

Uh oh. Not good. I would think that your return line is OK, but would worry about the the pump feed side. I don't think your Fatboy comes standard with an oil pressure gauge, but it would be very useful to make sure that you have adequate oil pressure. Perhaps you can locate one and temporarily replace your oil pressure switch with the gauge to see what you have. Let us know.

TQ

You think its in the inlet side of the pump? the problem with running a pressure gauge on it is it spits oil instantly, don't have time to run the engine.

Check the oil level in the tank before starting. It may have drained into the engine.

Oil level was good the first time it happened, now its a little over full as its pumped excess into the tank

Over full??? Never should be above the full mark unless too much oil was put in.

Well it wasn't over full before this started to happen, but there will always be oil outside of the tank, My thought was the pump pumped the oil inside it and the engine into the tank but it couldn't suck any out, thats why I thought there could be a plugged return or suction line!

Back