Oil pressure

Discussion in 'Oil' started by HDDon, Jul 24, 2011.

1. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

Oil does thin out when hot. That said how many miles on your bike and what type of oil do you run?

2. HDDon

When you changed the oil the last time did you clean the tappit screen? How often do you change the oil?

3. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

I would strongly recommend to switch oil to a 20/50 synthetic.. Your oil "dino" will NOT hold up under the heat,, Right now , once Over Heated it Starts to Looses (viscosity), its ability to be a multi-weight oil and will Not lube properly (burnt out).. Synthetic oil Keeps the molecules working longer under the Stress of Heat..

BIG DIFFERENCE using Full Synthetic..

Foe EASE of any argument , I would SUGGEST switch to 20/50 Mobil 1 for V-twin application OR My favorite is Redline, Amsoil also is Sold by Moderator, "The Tank" here on the forum.. He is a no balognia type of guy and would answer all you need to know about it in a PM..

I would suggest you PM him and get some facts...

Also READ lots here on OILS

The Heat and "0" is Not good, IF you rather Not switch YOU Need to change That oil as Over heated as it got , It probably already won't do its job needed..

signed....BUBBIE

4. JBC2565

JBC2565 Junior Member

Just to follow up about dino oil. Look at info in link and see about thermal breakdown. I run Mobil 1 v-twin 20w-50 in my EVO and easy to get at local auto store. Stock up when it's on sale.

Harley Davidson Community

5. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

Can be BOTH.. If you had a bleed valve to open and see IF OIL Is Flowing when that HOT, that would be the only way I would know and Trust ..

I See I can't help out here as everything I want to do is opposite of what you want to do..:newsmile011:

The Owner is always right..

signed....BUBBIE

6. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Why not install a master gauge and run bike to see if you can duplicate problem. If gauge reads 0 and engine does not sound like it is coming apart then maybe gauge is bad.

7. HDDon

The oil you are using Castrol GTX is not made for air cooled motors. Castrol is now offering a Vtwin oil. you need to seriously think about using oil that is specificly made for air cooled Vtwins.

8. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

+1 on that.

Bodeen

9. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

It is pretty amazing how little oil pressure these air cooled twins will run under. I would check the pressure with a master gauge to rule out a bad gauge. What type filter are you running?Zero oil pressure for any length of time I would expect to hear some rattling especially in the valve train let a lone the lifters would not pump up

10. judgeman6970

judgeman6970 Member

+1....syn or dino, I would agree that you should be using oil made "specifically" for air-cooled bikes, probably would hold up better under high-temps:s