free website stats program Oil Pressure | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Pressure

franka

07 Road King with 23,500 miles and Arlen Ness oil pressure gauge. Riding today at 2000-2800 RPM gauge reads 48-52 psi, manual says 30-38 psi at 2000 RPM. Also idles between 10-12 psi. Question, is this an indication of serious problem or is the gauge not reliable?

Sounds like the gauge is reading high.

What weight oil you using and are you the original owner?

Don't know if it's a sign of a problem or not, but mine always (every since I put a gauge on it) reads about the same as yours, only a little higher at idle. I have the Jerzee Customs gauge kit which I believe is a Russell - Edlebrock.

Is that cold or hot?

On mine it's cold. Just haven't checked it much after riding since it's down on the rear rocker. Do check the light often. Obviously it's gonna go down some on a warm up.

Didn't the 07's have a stronger (err larger capacity) oil pump than the 06's ?

Is this a new gauge installation? If "no", then did this gauge previously read more in line with the HD manual? If it used to read per the manual and is now reading high you have a problem that needs addressing.

At best, I would say that all gauges that we have whether they are HD original equipment or aftermarket and whether they are pressure or temp should be used a "trend" indication.

If it is a new installation, then this gauge is reading higher than normal and that would your "norm". You should monitor your "trend" indications from its "norm".

You could ask the dealer that you purchased it from to give you another.

Nicely put Tank, this is exactly how I feel, especially concerning my oil temperature gauge. Good for overall health/functioning of the motor but not reliable for accurate temperature readings.

Thanks guys, all good info, I'm going to test with master gauge as I also believe it's the accuracy of the gauge, thanks again.

Back