free website stats program Oil Pressure ? | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Pressure ?

63split

New to this board so here I go . I have searched and read a lot of oil press threads here and would apreciate some simple answers to a couple of questions. I get confused easily !
I have a 2002 Electra Glide Classic with 15,000 miles . At cruising speed I have just short of 30psi , fully warmed up on a hot day the oil press at idol is barely registering on the gauge and the oil light does not come on . 900 rpm
Do I have a problem here and if so what should be done ?

Regards Bill

The h-d factory manuel says that @ 2000 rpm fully warmed up you should have 30-38 psi - I just went through what I thought was an oil pressure problem only to find out that my sending unit was bad - an easy way to check is to run a mechanical gauge straight off the motor and see what your readings are - as a matter of fact I think the mechanical gauge is more accurate that the harley one.
Also on a hot day it's normal for it to show low pressure - I'm currently using Redline 20x60 and that does keep the oil pressure up a little more on hot days

If in doubt, check the pressure with a known good one these gauges can be very un reliable:s

I just had a 103 stage 11 kit done,never thought I had a oil pressure problem but after the kit was installed HD tech said oil pressure was reading to low at idle.Turned out was a bad sending unit,now at idle it reads close to 8-10 psi running at freeway speeds about 32-35 drops a little when hot maybe 30psi,the tech told me these sending units are a high failure item...

Back