free website stats program oil pressure problem on fd evo | Harley Davidson Forums

oil pressure problem on fd evo

anarchytrainer

i have a 1993 touring bike with an evo motor that i have had oil pressure problems since i put the engine in. i did not build the engine so i do not know much about this one. after installing, it took a while for the engine to get oil pressure. i ran it at idle for about a minuite and when it still was not going up i started priming everything i could get to. after that it got oil pressure to about 30psi. but after driving for about a half hour, the pressure drops to about five at idle and ten while driving.

does anyone know how i can boost this pressure up. i believe it is one of the springs in the oil pump but i am not sure. any help is apreciated.

I don't know how to tell you to get the pressure up but I can tell you that I have an 88FLHTC in the garage with 88,000 miles on it and it has had that low of pressure since it was new.

I assume the pressure readings you have are from the bikes own gauge. If so, I would cross check them to a Quality mechanical gauge. There should be a larger spread between the 2 readings you are getting. (5 at idle and 10 running)

The word "running" does not say a lot. Running could be any RPM. Check the oil pressure at idle, 1500, 2500 => up. You need true numbers before you can apply a plan to correct a problem.

I sure would like to see more than 10 PSI at 2000 RPM.

I assume the pressure readings you have are from the bikes own gauge. If so, I would cross check them to a Quality mechanical gauge. There should be a larger spread between the 2 readings you are getting. (5 at idle and 10 running)

The word "running" does not say a lot. Running could be any RPM. Check the oil pressure at idle, 1500, 2500 => up. You need true numbers before you can apply a plan to correct a problem.

I sure would like to see more than 10 PSI at 2000 RPM.

Agree with Hoople here, after you check with a known good gauge you can determine where to go, While most Evos will run with lower pressures I would want to Know I have a good pump JMO

i did check with a mechanical test guage so those nos are as true as i can get

also the readings are at idle (800rpm) and at cruise (about 2400 rpm)

i do know the oil lines are correct and i did pull the oil pump front cover off to check those gears and everything looked good there. i was hoping there was a spring that controls the pressure and i could adjust as necessary as i do believe there is no mechanical issues other that is causing this. i see the two springs in the pump but every manual i have looked at does not say what one is for oil pressure???

Back