free website stats program Oil pressure light on after engine re-assembly | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil pressure light on after engine re-assembly

When you installed the pump did you verify the holes in the gasket matched the ports in the pump?
Did you use any kind of gasket sealer that may have obstructed one of the ports?

You may want to pull the pump and check to make sure everything is assembled correctly. Assembly lube is a must. It only costs a few bucks and can save you some headaches in the long run.

You can take the Ball check valve out. That's the round screw in cap closest to the engine. This usually allows the pump to prefill with oil. It should flow out the hole. It should also flow out the tappet screen hole. It takes a while to gravity feed & prefill this way. Once oil is coming out of one hole, plug it and wait on the other. Then plug it. This fills the pump and removes any air for cavitation. Retry after that for the 20 sec. running. I usually watch the light and watch for circulation in the oil tank at the same time. Keep us posted.
tourbox

You can take the Ball check valve out. That's the round screw in cap closest to the engine. This usually allows the pump to prefill with oil. It should flow out the hole. It should also flow out the tappet screen hole. It takes a while to gravity feed & prefill this way. Once oil is coming out of one hole, plug it and wait on the other. Then plug it. This fills the pump and removes any air for cavitation. Retry after that for the 20 sec. running. I usually watch the light and watch for circulation in the oil tank at the same time. Keep us posted.
tourbox
How can it gravity feed when the oil tank is lower than the pump?

Very good point. I was thinking of Soft Tails. In that case, remove the 2 screw caps I mentioned. Remove your oil supply line to the pump and plug it off with a bolt and hose clamp. Then take old style oil squirt can and start squirting oil into the feed hole/fitting of the Pump, pretty messy, until you see the oil coming out of the 2 unplugged screw caps. 2nd. option is to hook up plastic bottle to the oil pump nipple by way of a 3/8(?) hose. I use to use a gear oil bottle because it had a tapered end on it for the hose to slide over. Make sure the bottle is CLEAN before putting oil in it Raise the bottle and let gravity do it's thing. Keep us posted.
tourbox

I took the cover off the oil pump, turned the engine over to make sure the gears were turning, re-assembled, and squirted oil into the feed hole fitting. Attached an oil presssure gauge, removed spark plugs and cranked it over in 10 second increments for a total of over a minute. Still no pressure.

Very good point. I was thinking of Soft Tails. In that case, remove the 2 screw caps I mentioned. Remove your oil supply line to the pump and plug it off with a bolt and hose clamp. Then take old style oil squirt can and start squirting oil into the feed hole/fitting of the Pump, pretty messy, until you see the oil coming out of the 2 unplugged screw caps. 2nd. option is to hook up plastic bottle to the oil pump nipple by way of a 3/8(?) hose. I use to use a gear oil bottle because it had a tapered end on it for the hose to slide over. Make sure the bottle is CLEAN before putting oil in it Raise the bottle and let gravity do it's thing. Keep us posted.
tourbox

Did you follow this advice? Just squirting oil in will not give enough to the pump to fill . If this process does not work, you have other internal problems.

I'm removing the oil pump again. Does anyone know of a good tool or trick to remove that tiny retaining ring on the pump shaft?

Back