free website stats program Oil pressure irregular jerky | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil pressure irregular jerky

fabrozor

Hello,

My bike : 2005 Electra Standard

I don't know if it has been discussed before but here is my problem.

I come back from a ride and i noticed something weird that was not happening before.

When i ride, the Oil pressure gauge needle indicates a pressure of 30, and frequently but irregularly it falls sharply to 10 and back to 30. It is extremely fast.

When I decelerate, the pressure drops. I do not know if it's related to the problem above or if this is normal.

And idle, the pressure is very low.

This oil pressure gauge needle falling very fast and coming back, does it remind you something ?

Thank you.

This could be as simple as a bad sender unit. You could do a check of the pressure after a quick warm up with a master gauge to confirm this

Jack has you covered here, you need to check the sender and gauge to be sure they are accurate. Since your bike is an 05 when was the last time you checked the wear on the cam tensioner shoes? Tiny bits of them can get into the oil passages and clog things up.

Jack has you covered here, you need to check the sender and gauge to be sure they are accurate. Since your bike is an 05 when was the last time you checked the wear on the cam tensioner shoes? Tiny bits of them can get into the oil passages and clog things up.

:D Good point Don, cutting the oil filter open could verify this

Hi guys,

Thank you for your answers.
I made the tensioner conversion with the Herko Kit 2 years ago i think. Now it's the hydrolic tensionners.

Hi guys,

Thank you for your answers.
I made the tensioner conversion with the Herko Kit 2 years ago i think. Now it's the hydrolic tensionners.

I would say now you only need to check the actual oil pressure with a master gauge.

My '99 Ultra did the same thing, and as discussed already, it was the sender. Good idea, though , to check the pressure with a gauge.

My thinking IF electronic sending oil pressure unit.

"That" is probably the guilty party.

Constant Pressure of oil movement on the rheostat unit causes the oil pressure to do JUST what you are experiencing. They do wear out.

My bet would be "THAT"...

signed....BUBBIE

Thank you very much guys for the ideas.
I'll change the sender, i have my old one from before the conversion.

Thank you very much guys for the ideas.
I'll change the sender, i have my old one from before the conversion.

Clean the threads and use some thread sealer to prevent leakage, use care to not over tighten and report back:D

Back