free website stats program Oil Pressure Gauge, no more oil filling... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Pressure Gauge, no more oil filling...

The Chinese kids did the best they could that day, just wasnt good enough to stay together that long. I'm betting its nothing you did. Bodeen

Ha, there is some real insight into the world situation and compassion for the poor sweatshop kids too. Wish you could run for president Bodeen, owe you some beer. If you are ever down my way drop by the house and I'll go buy a 12 pack and grill some chicken. That goes if PA is with you too.

... .. ... .. ... So the Yada Yada and NOW the POINT is::: Maybe Your gauge was Over full and no air bubble for the expansion of the oil when heated.... POP signed....BUBBIE

Wisdom personafied. That's definitely one thing I would check on the replacement!

I bought a Jerzee Customs package, similar to HD but had the Russell braided line. Mine had a very large visible bubble in the gauge. Never had a problem with the gauge, showed 40 lbs of pressure most all the time. The aluminum Tee down at the crankcase did leak some oil where the Russell fitting went in the top. Guess a bad day at the sweat shop again, poor kids, their leaders own half our country off of their sweat and our money.

Anyhow Greg at Jerzee Customs made good on my bad bibb insert and sent me a new line and tee (after I returned the defective one).
Hope the new install keeps working good

Have seen this with cheap gauges your install was not the problem poor Quality control in China IMO:s

Made it to work, no apparent issues with gauge. Replacement gauge on the way to dealer, hope it will be here before long. I'll inspect the new one carefully before installing. I'm prepared to get another gauge if the second H-D fails. I've seen Jersey Customs site, looks like they have a few things I didn't know I needed.
WAP.gif

I installed the Harley Oil Pressure Gauge Kit, part #75133-99 on my '09 Softail Custom. I took many pictures of the install to post here in case someone wanted to see how it's done. I drove the bike to the neighbors house after checking for leaks, ( about 100 Yards away ). After the bike is shut down for a few minutes the plug for the oil filling pops out and the clear oil that used to fill the gauge is covering the pipes and some of the motor. Not Happy!!! The local dealer has a replacement on order for me.

I have a couple of questions:
1) What could I have possibly done wrong with the install?
2) With the oil filling gone, are there any dangers of me running the bike with the gauge unfilled and plug less?

I have the same gauge. It lost it's oil somewhere after 2 years. It's been running for 2 years now without the oil and works fine.

Things are looking up! My local dealer replaced the defective Oil Pressure Gauge, without question or drama. It took longer than I think it should have, but, it's done.

Now I've done most of this install twice. In addition to replacing the Gauge, I replaced the delicate looking nylon line and the Steel "T" that came with the H-D Kit. I also added a good looking Chrome Cover for the side of the Gauge.

Here is the combined install:

Future home of Oil Pressure Gauge.

Seat had to be removed and tank had to be lifted to install Gauge Mounting Bracket. I didn't expect this. There is not enough room to take out both rocker cover bolts with gas tank in the way.

First go 'round with Gauge install, before plug holding oil filling gave up.

Steel "T", Tubing, and, Compression Fittings from Gauge Kit. H-D Pressure Switch. I'm sure I tightened the line fittings correctly, they still leaked!

Russel Braided Line, Aluminum "T" Fitting, and, H-D Oil Pressure Switch. Oil on the engine is from original install. Some oil leaked out during the install and I hadn't cleaned it to take pictures. Minor tweaking of the Aluminum Fitting was needed to steer the braided line away from the exhaust header. I thought it was to close and may have damaged the plastic cover.

Left over parts from H-D kit.

Original Gauge Kit/Gauge Kit with Jerzee Custom cover and Russel braided line.

Current install has been on for about a week without problems.

Last edited:
Looks like you solved the issue. I see you found that Jerzee also sells some of those parts separate. I have the whole Jerzee Kit. I don't know how the H.D. bracket worked (at the gauge) but on my Jerzee there is a slight gap between the gauge flanges and the rocker mount. Jerzee instructions say not to tighten the mounting nuts too much or it will bend the gauge flanges.

I added Ace Hardware stainless washers to the equation so I can tighten without bending the flange.

I also torqued to specs the two rocker cover fasterners on installing the mount. But if you didn't don't worry about it since many have done it without torquing them and it worked fine.

GLAD you got that Day-OFF.

Looks NICE ,,, I think I'll Have to do the Job like you did.

Chrome cover and the braided line with that nice fitting..

Good Job!!!!!!

Now IF BUBBIE gets a day off..:D

signed....BUBBIE

RWB,
If I knew then what I know now...
The H-D kit was less expensive, and was trying to keep my bike mostly H-D. Now I've spent nearly twice the money. For the original kit, plus, the extra parts to make it look nicer. No provision to slip gauge mount around bolts. Bolts had to be removed completely. Next thing I install may not be H-D.

Bubbie,
Thanks for the compliment! If you do this install, I think I would recommend an alternate kit vs. H-D. My guess is you're already ahead of me on that.

To All,
After re-reading this post it may appear that I'm a little irritated with H-D, I'm really not. I'm actually having a good laugh at my own expense. The purpose of this post was/is to encourage others to try something they may not have tried before. I think any one can do this install if they can afford the time! Overall, it was real good fun! If one member can save one dollar, it will have been worth it!

....... ..... ...... No provision to slip gauge mount around bolts. Bolts had to be removed completely. .... ..... ......

Glad you finally got it all worked out. I think maybe you misunderstood me mount description. I had to pull the rocker bolts all the way out also.

I worded it a bit ambigious, but on my Jerzee there is a slight gap between the gauge flanges and the underside of the gauge mount. In other words as you tighten the nuts up on the two gauge mount studs (not the rocker bolts), if you go too far the gauge flanges will start to bend. So slipped a couple of small washers in there.

Jerzee sells a good economical kit for Oil Pressure especially if you don't mind it being down beside the engine.

Back