free website stats program Oil pressure gauge/dummy light | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil pressure gauge/dummy light

Remember this is an EVO.:D

Could be a 7 Lb fluctuation in the gauge too or it could be some carbon etc. in the relief valve. The gauges aren't all that accurate.

Remember this is an EVO.:D

Could be a 7 Lb fluctuation in the gauge too or it could be some carbon etc. in the relief valve. The gauges aren't all that accurate.

No glyder it's a 2001 Roadglide twin cam - what are the chances that it's the carbon in the relief valve on a twin cam? Or how about possibly the sending unit or gauge itself?

No glyder it's a 2001 Roadglide twin cam - what are the chances that it's the carbon in the relief valve on a twin cam? Or how about possibly the sending unit or gauge itself?

Woops!:D

I saw the 89FXRS and thought that is what we were talking about.

Still the same possibilities with the TC engine too. In fact if the oil pump has been removed, there's a possibility of a pinched "O" ring on the pump too.

FXRS, So are we talking about holding a ROCK STEADY rpm of 3000 and the oil pressure is drifting 9 psi.?

FXRS, So are we talking about holding a ROCK STEADY rpm of 3000 and the oil pressure is drifting 9 psi.?

Yes- but not always,the 9 psi is the total range of fluctuation - it may go from 33 down to 27 for a while then go back up to 32 and stay for a bit then go to 26 then back up to 30 - the 9 psi is the range that it varies -that's why I wondering if it might be the sending unit or possibly the gauge itself. With the bike fully warmed up, if the psi is 26@ 2700rpm and I get off the freeway and shut the bike off, even just for 3-4-minutes then start it up the psi will go up to 33-34 psi @2500rpm and stay for a at least a couple of minutes.

that's why I wondering if it might be the sending unit or possibly the gauge itself. .

Absolutely. It can be the sending unit, gauge or the oiling system itself. You will need to hook up a temporary mechanical gauge to the engine port and see what you read. Does not have to be expensive, fancy or accurate. You really don't care about the "absolute pounds" of oil pressure. You just want to see if it varies while riding and holding a fixed RPM.

Yes- but not always,the 9 psi is the total range of fluctuation - it may go from 33 down to 27 for a while then go back up to 32 and stay for a bit then go to 26 then back up to 30 - the 9 psi is the range that it varies -that's why I wondering if it might be the sending unit or possibly the gauge itself. With the bike fully warmed up, if the psi is 26@ 2700rpm and I get off the freeway and shut the bike off, even just for 3-4-minutes then start it up the psi will go up to 33-34 psi @2500rpm and stay for a at least a couple of minutes.

Have you ever done any work to the oil pump?

Absolutely. It can be the sending unit, gauge or the oiling system itself. You will need to hook up a temporary mechanical gauge to the engine port and see what you read. Does not have to be expensive, fancy or accurate. You really don't care about the "absolute pounds" of oil pressure. You just want to see if it varies while riding and holding a fixed RPM.

Any suggestions on what brand gauge to get???

Back