free website stats program Oil pressure drops when hot | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil pressure drops when hot

On my 09 FLHR, after putting the 6 row Jagg cooler with Automatic Thermostat behind the oil filter... Cooler to the left side of the down-tubes... NICE...??????ALL my oil problems Disappeared when I INSTALLED the Cooler. :small3d023:

Too long a story for here... The oil pump Needs Looking into. Dropping oil pressure in the Middle like it does IS Probably in the Pump to cam-plate...

There is also a Wavey Washer that has given problems Holding the gerotors Tight enough against the cam-plate to suck oil and oil pressure will not flow if it sitting off the cam-plate... (my problem also)

A new Wavey Washer is Under 3$... That New washer installed with all the guts (rotors/spacer /washers/ wavey washer/ STACKED all for Measurement... inside the oil pump housing.... Gerotor should Stand Out Proud by .040 to .050 Then there is enough Push to draw oil IN thru the intake Plate side and push it out the exit pressure side...

Sorry for lack of Clairty BUT try a cooler First... You DO need one... That cooler kept oil at my gerotor and made the pressure EVEN (no oil cavation)... Now running at 38/40 at cruise... Never falling off until Idle then 10/12 lbs.. Right back UP off Idle...

signed....BUBBIE

This is an update on my earlier oil pressure problems. I replaced the stock oil pressure spring with a little stronger spring. I forget where I got it, but it was a kit with 3 different springs, gaskets for cover and exhaust and a little tool for replacing spring in the pump. I used the weakest one. I also put an ultracool oil cooler on. Pressures now remain in the proper operating ranges when hot on the hottest day. Content..

Glad you solved the problem. I suspect the relief valve was the culprit and it was not moving properly in the bore. The heavier spring and just the associated movement probably helped the situation. If this were to be the case, keep your eye on it and should oil pressure start acting up again, you will know you need to pull the relief valve and polish it up.

Back