free website stats program Oil Pressure after adding an oil cooler? | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Pressure after adding an oil cooler?

bobalu

Will adding an oil cooler have any affect on oil pressure? (raise it, lower it?). I know it would be safe to do, I'm just curious about the fluid mechanics.

This would be for a 2010 RKC with 96 ci Twin Cam (bone stock).

Will adding an oil cooler have any affect on oil pressure? (raise it, lower it?). I know it would be safe to do, I'm just curious about the fluid mechanics.

This would be for a 2010 RKC with 96 ci Twin Cam (bone stock).

YES,

usually Coolers help keep the oil Pressure UP, Cooling the too hot oil otherwise tooo hot and dropping the Oil pressure......

I Remember the feeling of seeing LOW Idle oil pressure on my oil gauge before I installed the cooler.

All of the forums and all the knowledgeable people I've talked to say NO difference pushing the oil around NORMAL oil coolers like used on our HD's.

I agree with the MANY.

When you first open up oil to a cooler it may drop a little from making a New flow direction but that is just momentary. When it catches up or fills oil cooler being New,,, no difference seen on My oil cooler ever after that.
(jag 6 row w/auto thermostat).

That is how I see it... I run 20/50 Redline and out on the road(not city stop n go) I never see any drop from HOT oil... AZ. IS HOT.... My pressure stays at 40 to 45 lbs constant above idle (2200 RPM guess).

When I change oil filter, I always fill the new filter sitting up-right, to the threads with fresh oil... let sit for a few minutes (absorb) then Install it...
Less time to fill it as Oil pumps thru the oil filter THEN back into the motor..

So EXtra oil fill there, Helps build Early Pressure... (I am FUSSY)

(Hope this is understandable)

signed....BUBBIE

Anyone have any experience with the Ultracool Harley Oil Cooler - Ultracool - Oil Cooling Systems for V-Twins Motorcycles brand oil coolers?

jennmar,

I looked at the vid... Might be OK IF you can shut the fan off and rely on Just air flow cooling when NOT in traffic... Probably works really well for the traffic to a ride to work rider...:s

I am old fashioned and not accepting these motor or oil cooler Electric fans.

I know Electric Fans for cooling have been around for a long time...(on cars and hotrod builds mostly)

Not knowing the fan Motor physical size and How long they Will work before the fail and they WILL fail... Not for me...

I did like the in front of oil filter adaptor plate...

Was there a $$ Cost mentioned? I didn't see.

signed....BUBBIE

jennmar,

I looked at the vid... Might be OK IF you can shut the fan off and rely on Just air flow cooling when NOT in traffic... Probably works really well for the traffic to a ride to work rider...:s

I am old fashioned and not accepting these motor or oil cooler Electric fans.

I know Electric Fans for cooling have been around for a long time...(on cars and hotrod builds mostly)

Not knowing the fan Motor physical size and How long they Will work before the fail and they WILL fail... Not for me...

I did like the in front of oil filter adaptor plate...

Was there a $$ Cost mentioned? I didn't see.

signed....BUBBIE

Retail is $399.00. The fans only come on when the oil temp reaches a preset limit. The fans will come on at 220* and go off at 180*.

The laws of hydraulics state, pressure in a sealed system will exert the same amount of force in any direction. Everywhere in the system, that's also the theory behind hydraulic brakes. Hope this helps.

An oil cooler has no effect on oil pressure.

JMHO, but the best all around cooling system for extreme hot climates, like south Texas, Arizona, southern New Mexico, Las Vegas, you get the picture :s is a Jagg low mount oil cooler and a set of Jason Wards fans to cool the heads when in traffic. This approach is much more effective than a fan blowing air over an oil cooler. The oil cooler will cool the oil at highway speeds but in traffic loses it's cooling capacity. The fans kick in traffic, blowing air over each head which, IMHO, is more effective than a fan blowing air over an oil cooler. Check out Jason's fans, talk to Jason and some of the folks running them. Now if you live where ambient temps never see 90*, then you won't need Jason's fans; you might not even need an oil cooler.:bigsmiley25:

Cooling fans - WARDS PARTS WERKS

I bought and installed an Ultracool...removed it. On my bike, 2008 FLHTC with Stage 1, once the fan came on it ran continually. Once at operating conditions, the bike temp does not dip below 180*. My oil temp gauge did not register any drop in temp but, at those temps, my gauge is not sensitive enough to detect a +/- drop of 20*. I also had a small oil leak that I could not find. That and the fact the oil lines interfered with the removal of the oil filter, which made my oil changes even more messy, prompted me to remove it.

I hear ya about the mess changing oil I got around that by leaving the bike on the side stand and making a tinfoil funnel slipping it in under the first inch or so of the oil filter, and then put a hole in the top and bottom (on the end) of the filter with a nail and let it drain (takes a little time) once drained spin the filter off with little or no mess.

Back