Oil preasure issue

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by whatyardwork, Jul 26, 2008.

1. whatyardwork

whatyardwork Banned

A buddy of mine built himself an older 70's sporty.While I tried and tried to talk him out of it his funds were low and he just had to have a Harley.After a year of scavaging parts and some help from friends {still wondering when I'll get my tools back?},he finaly got it done.I visited him yesterday and as he fired it up, the oil cap blew off the bike and hit him right in the cannaries.Followed by a lube job..it was quite commical actualy.Anyway, Im trying to help him out so anyone have some suggestions?

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

The sporties are notorious for this after they sit a while. The oil in the oil tank seeks a lower level into the motor and on start up it usually finds a way out. This is providing he has the oil hoses routed properly.

3. silentflyer

silentflyer Active Member

Look at the bright side, think what he would have to pay for a hot oil rub down at some fancy spa..........

4. fuzzy359

fuzzy359 Member

check oil lines sounds like he is in a closed loop with oil returning to the bag instead of through the engine...did he close off the chain oiller...early iron heads feed oil into the primary with a vent return to the bag...check ball seat on oil pump it could be stuck or shut off...pm me if you still have trouble have a 70' manual near by...good luck
    fuzzy359:cheers

5. chips

chips Member

OMG I just fell off my chair laughing. :ap