free website stats program Oil preasure issue | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil preasure issue

A buddy of mine built himself an older 70's sporty.While I tried and tried to talk him out of it his funds were low and he just had to have a Harley.After a year of scavaging parts and some help from friends {still wondering when I'll get my tools back?},he finaly got it done.I visited him yesterday and as he fired it up, the oil cap blew off the bike and hit him right in the cannaries.Followed by a lube job..it was quite commical actualy.Anyway, Im trying to help him out so anyone have some suggestions?

The sporties are notorious for this after they sit a while. The oil in the oil tank seeks a lower level into the motor and on start up it usually finds a way out. This is providing he has the oil hoses routed properly.

check oil lines sounds like he is in a closed loop with oil returning to the bag instead of through the engine...did he close off the chain oiller...early iron heads feed oil into the primary with a vent return to the bag...check ball seat on oil pump it could be stuck or shut off...pm me if you still have trouble have a 70' manual near by...good luck
fuzzy359:cheers

A buddy of mine built himself an older 70's sporty.While I tried and tried to talk him out of it his funds were low and he just had to have a Harley.After a year of scavaging parts and some help from friends {still wondering when I'll get my tools back?},he finaly got it done.I visited him yesterday and as he fired it up, the oil cap blew off the bike and hit him right in the cannaries.Followed by a lube job..it was quite commical actualy.Anyway, Im trying to help him out so anyone have some suggestions?

OMG I just fell off my chair laughing. :ap

Back