free website stats program Oil overfilled? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil overfilled?

Better go to the Dollar Store and get your own turkey baster. I don't think with Thanks Giving coming up that it would be a good idea to use the cooks tools on the bike
kemo

I over filled my oil when i changed it.
This is what i did. Turkey Baster from Wal mart $1.98, 1ft. clear plastic hose from the Hardware store $.27. And it works great too.

Yes, it works good, but remember Thanksgiving is coming up so make sure you label it "HD Oil Use Only" ...dino oil makes a poor gravy ingredient for your family dinner... :no

REMEMBER MY POST about oil ? over full? plug blow out?

On a 07 softail MY GAL FRIENDS bike.... ENDED UP, she simply over filled hers and BLEW the oil tank plug out (over full and not by much) oil all over her chaps n bike...

ASKING HER, what did you do before that ride?

she answered "I added oil ,, it was LOW on the stick...."

HER bike isn't USING OIL .... she worries about 1/8-1/4 of an inch when that isn't LOW.... then adds a 1/2 qt to top it off...

IF YOU DO need to check,,, AFTER it has ran for a couple of minutes..
THIS pumps oil from engine BACK into tank for PROPER running level...

then shut off for a minute... check the level,,, within a 1/8 to 1/2 inch of full, I would leave it alone...

( my opinion) IT'S better to have oil level a bit low (1/8-1/4 qt. max) then up on the stick full or over full..

depending on YOUR condition of motor, weight of oil and quality of oil you are using..........
(hopefully a full synthetic for air cooled engines)
adding should not be a daily or weekly thing..

MY hd bikes might use a 1/2 cup or less between changes... I usually NEVER have to add oil. (if i do it is a dribble) 20/50 redline

YOUR bike being a EARLIER model softail, could use a little oil and DO check it daily but ADD ONLY when needed... You have a good amount of oil in tank if it shows on the stick so take time to check it RIGHT and ADD only WHAT is needed.

signed....BUBBIE

A good rule of thumb on a Softail is to look in the top of the oil tank at the oil level. If it is just at the bottom of the filler neck, you're close. Oil should be hot and the bike level.
If the oil is coming up the neck, you're too full.

Back