free website stats program Oil overfilled? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil overfilled?

I have one of the new dipsticks from HD that shows the level and temp. The marks on the new dipstick is the same as the factory one, but the new one displays that it is overfilled when in fact, it's not. I've learned to live with it and when I want to know the oil level, I check it the old fashion way.

Get a stock dipstick to check the oil level.

I would be concerned about the smoke on start up. If you're over filled slightly it shouldn't be smoking, at least not only on start up. It sounds to me like the piston rings are not sealing good untill they heat up and expand. Pull your plugs and read them to see if you are burning oil or if it is something else.

i overfilled motor oil 1/4 in. over full on stick 09 bagger should i remove some or ok to leave as is;;tx for help

It could possibility remove itself through the air filter all over the side of your bike.:s

I would drop the level down a bit to prevent that.

Last edited:
could be bad valve seals and hard umbrella seals also tho my bet is on too much oil in the oil tank I too would check the level with a stock stick and marl the after market stick acordingly jmo

Went on about a 500mile run the past 3 days, bike ran great. Noticed the oil was barely on the dipstick though. When i got home i added about 1/8th to 1/4 quart. I think i might have over filled it because directly after i added the oil it starts smoking after i start it, just briefly. Like a large puff of white smoke when i first start it when its been sitting overnight or so.

Also, i should give you all the info here. The dipstick oil cap is an aftermarket part. One of those caps with a temp guage in it. I'm starting to think the line on the dipstick isn't correct and i've overfilled it. Haven't looked at the air breather yet to see if its been spitting at it. Just wondering if white smoke at startup was a sign of overfilled oil levels. Haven't had it out much since i added the oil. Might syphon some back out to see if it stops. But i thought i'd ask you guys to get a second opinion.
Didn't mention what you're riding and not sure if it makes a difference. I have an 08 Ultra and I did the same thing...checked it cold EXACTLY like the manual says, and it was on the "ADD" line, so I did...WRONGO. Barely added 1/8 qt and found oil on my exhaust pipe later that day ridin. Learned from the dealer on my 10,000 service I should let it warm up a minute or two, shut it down and wait a minute before checking. My "mistake" cost me an early air filter replacement, cause the old one had oil on about 25% of it...rest of it was clean. Not so confident in that owner's manual now and double check stuff here before making and move!!!

I always like to check oil HOT in the position recommended for your bike in the manual. This takes all the guess work out of the level it should be at.

Back