free website stats program Oil overfilled? | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil overfilled?

SpringerSteve98

Went on about a 500mile run the past 3 days, bike ran great. Noticed the oil was barely on the dipstick though. When i got home i added about 1/8th to 1/4 quart. I think i might have over filled it because directly after i added the oil it starts smoking after i start it, just briefly. Like a large puff of white smoke when i first start it when its been sitting overnight or so.

Also, i should give you all the info here. The dipstick oil cap is an aftermarket part. One of those caps with a temp guage in it. I'm starting to think the line on the dipstick isn't correct and i've overfilled it. Haven't looked at the air breather yet to see if its been spitting at it. Just wondering if white smoke at startup was a sign of overfilled oil levels. Haven't had it out much since i added the oil. Might syphon some back out to see if it stops. But i thought i'd ask you guys to get a second opinion.

Thing is I don't have it. Bought the bike used and that was what was in it. When i changed the oil last I filled it to the fill line on the dipstick and had no problems. About 1500 miles later i noticed it was barely on the dipstick so i added around 1/4 quart. It was then this problem started. Went on a short trip to wal-mart, let it sit for about 10 minutes and then... Large puff of white smoke when it first starts. I immediatly thought it might be overfull because i had just put oil in. I'm going to have a look at the air filter to see if its saturated with oil and possibly the cause. It does lean to the left while sitting and if it got overly saturated i guess that could cause the smoke.

It doesn't do it everytime. Only twice since the first instance. Once after it had sat overnight, but not everytime it sits over night. The other time was after it had sat most of the day.

Last edited:
One thing comes to mind here you may not be aware of. The softails being the oil tank is higher than the engine unlike the other lines needs to be idled upright and level for a minute or two before checking the oil level or the measurement could be off (overfull) because of the oil in the engine sump. This is where your problems may be coming from. You are adding oil when it doesn't need it.

Maybe find someone with a similar bike and try their dipstick to verify the correct part in yours.

I've always checked the oil while upright with the bike not running. Should it be idling?

Also... I noticed that the oil level went right back to where it was before. Just barely on the dipstick while upright, air filter was pretty saturated. So i took it out and blew it off with an air compressor.

Is the puff of white smoke ordinary with overfilling the oil. Or am i looking at bigger problems like a valve leaking. I'm kinda concerned TBH. I have no oil pressure guage (which will likely be my next investment). And i'm not sure the air filter was saturated enough to be putting oil in the air intake, but there had been some blowing in there. This is my first Harley and i'm pretty dumbfounded as to the way the oil circulates around the engine. Worried it might be a gasket or seal somewhere that isn't doing its job. What bad can happen when overfilling the oil? Or is the oil level not the problem here. Its realted without a doubt, because it started happening when i put more oil in.

Well... Just took it for a run around town and no white smoke what-so-ever. So i'm going to venture to say it was just an overfull problem (at least i hope). The oil level is right where it was before, just barely on the dipstick. I don't trust the dipstick though. Bike is acting fine, so until it lets me know for sure its leaking oil i'm gonna run with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
if i were u, i'd buy the std dipstick.
but if u think you'd be wasting money since u've already had the aftermarket, i have this idea, may be u could drop by at the dealer, and borrow a dipstick from one of any softails being serviced there.
hold your aftermarket stick next to the borrowed one, both uprite w/ top caps @ same level. pen mark the level "full hot" & "full cold" (as shown on the borrowed one) on your aftermarket stick.

sounds complicated..but it's better than having 2 dipsticks...

Last edited:
I over filled my oil when i changed it.
This is what i did. Turkey Baster from Wal mart $1.98, 1ft. clear plastic hose from the Hardware store $.27. And it works great too.

Attachments

• oil pump.jpg
    oil pump.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 27
Back