free website stats program Oil overfill | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil overfill

hogtyd

I read in the manual about how to check the engine oil on a cold engine. It says very sternly in bold black letters not to overfill the engine oil. What is confusing is the way you check it. Seems that when checking the engine oil your supposed to screw the dip stick all the way down till it stops. When checking the transmission oil you just set the stick on top of the threads. If you do the tranny first, then you are tempted to repeat the procedure on the engine stick. Big!! mistake!! My question is: what will happen if you do over fill the oil by a half quart?

I read in the manual about how to check the engine oil on a cold engine. It says very sternly in bold black letters not to overfill the engine oil. What is confusing is the way you check it. Seems that when checking the engine oil your supposed to screw the dip stick all the way down till it stops. When checking the transmission oil you just set the stick on top of the threads. If you do the tranny first, then you are tempted to repeat the procedure on the engine stick. Big!! mistake!! My question is: what will happen if you do over fill the oil by a half quart?

It may cause problems not functioning properly, oil return could stop-up and get oil out the breather into air-cleaner port. too much oil can remain around the crank, Messy thing.. It is Easy to drain or syphon some out... I say it is Always Better to be a few Oz. Low than too high
DRAIN out the excess oil...(.)

What would your bathtub do if over full, Oil Not meant to be Over!....... Use the proper level!

signed....BUBBIE

If you are over full on the engine oil, it causes the excess oil to be pushed out the breathers and into the air filter. It makes a real mess when that happens.

Better just a tad low than overfilled.

Back