free website stats program Oil on the forks, 2010 FXDC | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil on the forks, 2010 FXDC

Sorry, I'm at work.....It's on both forks, about like you describe. If I compress the forks with the front brake at low (just rolling) with the forks wiped clean, when they come back up you see the oil. Hope that helps.

That helps. If it is just a sheen of oil, you will get a bit till everything seats in but have it checked out anyway. This way it's on record for the future.

Pretty strange for fork seals to be seeping already...but as Jack and Glider says, it is best to be "on record" in case they are truly bad...!

In researching this issue it seems that it's a fairly common problem. There has been a service bulletin issued from what I understand so I'm not expecting any flack from the stealer. Wonder if they'll give me a loaner......

In researching this issue it seems that it's a fairly common problem. There has been a service bulletin issued from what I understand so I'm not expecting any flack from the stealer. Wonder if they'll give me a loaner......

Depends on the dealer but it should be a warranty issue if not ESP covers it:s

I have the same bike as you and my forks leaked from day one.
Depending on how rough the road was as too how much the would leak.
At worst there would be enough oil to blow up the fork tube while riding along,and other days you would hardly see any just enough to leave a ring around the tube.
The dealers said it was only a mild leak and would not fix until it became worse.
Well now after 5500 miles on the clock they don't leak anymore...a little odd I guess.perhaps they have now settled in or maybe run out of oil.

WAZ....

I have the same bike as you and my forks leaked from day one.
Depending on how rough the road was as too how much the would leak.
At worst there would be enough oil to blow up the fork tube while riding along,and other days you would hardly see any just enough to leave a ring around the tube.
The dealers said it was only a mild leak and would not fix until it became worse.
Well now after 5500 miles on the clock they don't leak anymore...a little odd I guess.perhaps they have now settled in or maybe run out of oil.

WAZ....

I hope it's the former and not the latter! The dealer called and said (as you did) that it pretty much had to be running onto the rim befire the Moco would fix it. At least it's documented and I still have about 14 months on my warranty. I guess as long as it doesn't blow back on the finish it's OK. They said, as did some here, that a little oil is normal. I just question why it suddenly showed up after 11k and 10 months. The forks have been bone dry until yesterday. I guess we'll see. Thanks to all here for your advice and opinions.

To update....The tech showed me the "tech tip" that they get from HD specifically dealing with this issue. He said he pulled back the dust caps and cleaned away the dirt and junk that had accumulated there and now the forks are dry again. They said just to "watch it". Hopefully a false alarm..

Mmmm, I wonder if they did that on mine at the 5000 service?It has'nt leaked a drop since then.Thanks for the update danthern,always good to know the little tricks..

WAZ....

Mmmm, I wonder if they did that on mine at the 5000 service?It has'nt leaked a drop since then.Thanks for the update danthern,always good to know the little tricks..

WAZ....

Could be that they saw the oil and did the same thing to yours. My forks are still dry, so it's all good for now, at least

I hope it's the former and not the latter! The dealer called and said (as you did) that it pretty much had to be running onto the rim befire the Moco would fix it. At least it's documented and I still have about 14 months on my warranty. I guess as long as it doesn't blow back on the finish it's OK. They said, as did some here, that a little oil is normal. I just question why it suddenly showed up after 11k and 10 months. The forks have been bone dry until yesterday. I guess we'll see. Thanks to all here for your advice and opinions.

The debris has caused the leak, cleaning away the debris is like a band aid on a broken leg, when it starts leaking again make them replace the seals under warranty. Once a seal starts to leak they do not repair them selves. They tried this on me on an 02 FXD but I stood my ground and they replaced both seals:s

Back