free website stats program Oil,Oil,Oil | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil,Oil,Oil

Curveball

Banned
Hey Gents,
Sorry to start an oil thread BUT;
I'm listening to you guys and putting Mobil 1 VTwin in my '07 RKC.
My question, is it ok in my '02 LowRider...I've heard about bearing skate etc. and want some opinions.

Hey Gents,
Sorry to start an oil thread BUT;
I'm listening to you guys and putting Mobil 1 VTwin in my '07 RKC.
My question, is it ok in my '02 LowRider...I've heard about bearing skate etc. and want some opinions.

Its fine.

Bearing skate is a term that HD used when they didn't have the poor excuse for synthetic oil (Syn3) that they now sell that is a blend and not a synthetic.

You can use synthetic oil from day 1 in any of the evo's or twin cam engines without any problems.

Since we are on the subject of oil - My daily ride is a 2000 FLHTC. I started running Red Line in the transmission at the start of the season (It's great). I would like to run syn in the engine and drive-line but was told my an HD mechanic that with my bike being so old the syn will cause it to leak. I have never had a leak in this bike and don't want any. So am I being told fact or (EDIT) ?

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Bearing skate is a term that HD used when they didn't have the poor excuse for synthetic oil (Syn3) that they now sell that is a blend and not a synthetic.

You can use synthetic oil from day 1 in any of the evo's or twin cam engines without any problems.

That's what I thought, but it's nice to hear from someone else.
Thanks.
By the way, does $8.49 a qt. for Mobil 1 V Twin sound about right?

Since we are on the subject of oil - My daily ride is a 2000 FLHTC. I started running Red Line in the transmission at the start of the season (It's great). I would like to run syn in the engine and drive-line but was told my an HD mechanic that with my bike being so old the syn will cause it to leak.

Two things:

I don't advise using synthetics in the primary. The wet clutch may slip with the synthetics. I would suggest a fit-for-purpose chaincase/wet clutch fluid like HD Formula + or Spectro Primary.

On the leaking thing. Synthetics usually have a better additives package that may clean out some old gunky deposits that are actually acting as seals. This depends on how well the engine was maintained when it was running on Dino oil. If the oil was changed frequently and at an interval in the 3-4k range, you will PROBABLY not have any oil leaks due to changing to synthetic. However, if the Dino oil was left in there for too long between changes and came out looking like filthy black molasses, then maybe. However, then benefits of using synthetic oil out weigh the downside IMHO.

TQ

After hours of searching the forums I can only thank all for the education I'm getting. I recently took a wonderfull ride on my 09 FLHRC, 4000 miles on her,
(after the first 1000 switched to amsoil 20/50 engine only) over rolling mountains on a rather hot day when i felt something weird, just felt odd, a kinda buzz that came up thru the handle bars just prior to upshifting. Crested the hill and felt it again when downshifting. Thought as i passed a HD dealer to stop in but my ride just started. All seemed fine..a little hot but 85 aint that hot. rode a couple hrs and occasionally felt the same odd sensation. on the way back i did stop in at dealer. told him it felt like a wheel with no lube spinning, with a kinda buzz to it at certain rpms. only not my wheel but in the engine. He test rode the bike said all felt normal, and his personal choice was Blended oil That made me feel better but not convinced. Stummbled by accident on posts commenting on "bearing skate" and instantly thought..thats what i felt. It felt as though something "spun" too freely. a boat prop cavitates when it looses water to grip, did my bearings loose something if only for a second causing it to race? is the oil too slippery on a hot day? did i switch to synthetic too soon? was i over revving? do i need a different oil filter? You can imagine how one question leads into so many more. Over the next three days, another 500 miles or so, nothing odd, ambiant temps were lower. all seems fine. for now. tranny has red line, primary has HD stuff. Any sign of trouble and M1 will get a chance.

Back