free website stats program Oil line replacement on 87 Sportster | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil line replacement on 87 Sportster

hogrotten

Does anyone have experience with this? I'm trying to find out if I can replace the oil lines without major engine disassembly. I have the Haynes manual Sportsers but they do not give good info on replaceing the oil lines.

Thanx for any help,
Hogrotten.

Don't see where it would be too big of a job, maybe a side cover, here's a pic of the lines and you might want to check the manuals available on the forum, I think 86 is real close to 87.
86XLoillines.jpg

You should be able to replace the oil lines without too much trouble however would be best to remove the battery and battery tray to get good acess to the centre of the bike where the vent return and drain lines are fitted
it would be adantages also to remove the oil tank and replace all the mounts

there are 4 rubber mounts 3 on the oil tank and 1 under the battery tray the 1 under the battery tray gets very week with time and starts to fail this puts extra strain on the battery to oil tank mount points often splitting the oil tank close to the battery tray mount points
so if you have a wee bit of an oil leek this may be your problem area
oil tank and line routing stayed the same till the 93 model
for the 94 a new oil tank and battery tray were introduced with a 3 point fixing of the battery tray to the tank and a larger rubber mount under the battery tray

after having to replace my oil tank twice i eventually replaced the parts on my 93 sportster to thoes fitted to the 94 - 03

for best info a better manual would be the best either the hd service manual or the clymer manual that covers your model year should give you the info you need

Brian

Thanx for the reply fellas, I was just looking at it earlier And I dont think it'll be to rough. It's the Mrs. bike and it hasn't been on the road for about two years, so after rebuilding the forks, new front tire and bearings,clutch cable and a couple other do-dads I want to make for shure it's in good order before we take to the road.
Thanx again,
Hogrotten. :D

Just a sugustion hog, when you do the hoses get the crimp hose clamps from HD for the hoses and a pair of crimp plyiers, don't use auto stile screw clamps, they will loosen in time and leak, lots of good vibrations on XL's, some of the hose end are too hard to get to, it's something you just want to do once.

Back